Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question Reagrding Motorvehicle Restriction Zones in Idaho

Can someone from Idaho please explain the motorvehicle restriction zones. I have read the law and have spoke to Idaho F&G, but the lady I spoke with there was very short with me and basically just read the law to me. Can I use my UTV to get up, down, and around the mountain on Forest Service Roads, or are all or most of the raods closed in these Units? I only want to use my UTV to get up and down the mountain for the most parts or to get to another area of the Unit and will then hike everywhere else, but I want to make sure I'm not looking at Units where all the roads will be closed when I get there for Archery Season since I'm coming from out of State. The law states I can travel on any road that a 1500lb car can, but is this only marked roads, does it include any 4X4 roads, etc? I have no intention of traveling on any non traveled areas, ie: taking off through the fields or brush. Just trying to get an idea of what I should expect.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    I believe main FS roads will be open but they close alot of smaller roads to limit vehicles and ATV's from driving all over the unit. Its a good thing if you are willing to get out and walk since there wont be other hunters driving all over and I dont think you will have to worry about not having access because of it. I have not hunted these areas but that is how I understand it. What areas are you thinking of hunting?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thank you for the reply and info. Several Units we're actually looking at: 30, 30A, 56, 58, 59, 59A, 66, 66A, 70, 73

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    Glad I could help. There are a few southern Id guys on here that would know more about the specifics then I do. Im up north and I dont get to those areas much if at all.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Basically, if the tire tracks/ruts are the width of a pickup truck, you are okay. Any road/trail that has grown in or has fall-down that would keep your truck out of there... you better get off and start walking.

I stopped a Warden one day to ask about a sketchy/questionable road and he pulled out a map and said he bases it on whether it shows as a road or trail on official Forest Service maps.

I love the rule, it makes hunting much more enjoyable. Now the wheelers are all parked at the base of the mountain instead of driving to the top. The best thing I can say is when in question, to play it safe. If you park at the bottom and walk, most other hunters won't risk going outside the law and will follow your lead and also park it. I've never seen somebody breaking the rule in the area I hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I live here....Idaho makes it real simple. If the road is open, drive on it. If there is a gate closed, or boulders or dirt berm blocking it, don't go around it. The closed gate, or blocked road will also have a brown colored fiberglass stake with a sticker saying no motorized vehicles beyond this point.

And as this picture shows....sometimes just the signs, but its open for horses, bicycles, hikers. Its not hard, and most roads are open during the non snow seasons...... Rule of thumb....stay off two tracks... Period.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    One problem to be aware of is in Wyoming were there is private property that is classified as Walk In area. Just like the NF, you can use a vehicle on the roads, but lots of the areas are crisscrossed with 2 tracks that have been used by 4 wheelers and 4x4s. Last time in 2012 we used lots of the 2 tracks and a Warden told us it was a pretty "grey area", unlike the NF where they are mostly identified.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yeah two tracks are just trouble waiting to happen. They usually are results of some yahoo mudding during the spring melt off, then everyone else just says hhheyyyy look a new road!

I like the rule mentioned above, if its on your GPS, its probably a road....otherwise keep out. FS is pretty quick here for the most part to install the brown flag posts and or block off access if they dont want it used.
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftalonID View Post
    Yeah two tracks are just trouble waiting to happen. They usually are results of some yahoo mudding during the spring melt off, then everyone else just says hhheyyyy look a new road!

I like the rule mentioned above, if its on your GPS, its probably a road....otherwise keep out. FS is pretty quick here for the most part to install the brown flag posts and or block off access if they dont want it used.
    Almost all of the 2 tracks that we used show on my gps and all were on private property that had "Walk In" signs.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks guys. I greatly appreciate all your input. This helps me understand a lot better. My wife and I are in good shape (wife better than I, she runs half marathons), but we just don't want to have to hike across an entire Unit looking for elk. 5 mile hikes from roads aren't an issue though.