Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Forum Etiquette

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 41 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    It is sad the other thread had to be deleted. There were a lot of well thought out posts that could really help new posters.

I think the golden rule is a good guide, even on forums.
    I understand about the thread but think about the thread title. There was a bunch of great info for sure. It just was just time to let that one go.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ikeepitcold For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    Thanks IKIC!

Here is a suggestion. How about if we have a forum header that is specifically for new members to introduce themselves. Some other forums have that. It would help a new member recognize that is appropriate to introduce ones self. Just please, please, please don't call it the "FNG" section…pretty crass.

I'm not sure how stickies work (I'm showing my age on that one), but could this thread be attached at the top of this section, so new members see this info. I think this might help in the future.
    Sticky means that I can keep a certain thread at the top of its page so it's seen more easily.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    It could possibly be in the new member sign up prompt? The same location that someone is creating their username and password. State that forums are just like hunting camps, if you go running into someone elses camp and say " I haven't seen anything in a week! Nor did I scout much, ive got a buck tag are you boys seeing anything?" Your not going to get a very welcome response. I think scottr stated that Eastman's intention was to make hunters better and more knowledgable in the field, a welcome email before being able to post. ex. in an email verification? That touches on the intention of eastmans forum and what the members are all about may be a great introduction to set the mood.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    Just please, please, please don't call it the "FNG" section…pretty crass.
    +1 Agree...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post

How about if we have a forum header that is specifically for new members to introduce themselves. Some other forums have that. It would help a new member recognize that is appropriate to introduce ones self.
    I agree. It sure helps new folks to know that they should post an intro and where. I wasn't sure, so posted an intro in the General Hunting forum because it seemed the most likely place at the time.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 48 Times in 7 Posts
    What I am thinking is when you are on the "Forum" page, right under "News and Announcements" have the next section entitled "New Members" within that have section titled something like "Introduce Yourself: If you've just joined Eastman's, introduce yourself to the forum members."

Another thought is when sending new members a confirming email, include a sentence or two encouraging them to introduce themselves in the New Members section.

This sticky could be at the top of that section.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    What I am thinking is when you are on the "Forum" page, right under "News and Announcements" have the next section entitled "New Members" within that have section titled something like "Introduce Yourself: If you've just joined Eastman's, introduce yourself to the forum members."

Another thought is when sending new members a confirming email, include a sentence or two encouraging them to introduce themselves in the New Members section.

I like the idea. I'll get on this tomorrow

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    +1 on the golden rule. Trying to give more than you get is also a good guide.

+4 on thanking people, too. I noticed that I had not done that much and am trying to do better. It's like giving compliments - how many times have you been impressed by someone or by what they did but leave it unsaid when a simple compliment that takes a few seconds would make the other person's day?

So, BB let me take a second to say I should have left you about 100 thanks for your posts over the last couple years - always very good and helpful info, and well delivered. Just as one example, which spotting scope I bought last year had a lot to do with your comments.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoshour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts

I like the idea UH. You actually busted me with my first post here on this forum. Yes, I even included "not looking for your honey hole". This was the first forum I had joined, but it never really crossed my mind people would join just to have one question answered then never come back. I know it would have been helpful for me to see something about new posters and introducing myself. I've sure enjoyed this forum and I know a lot of other people will too. Getting started on the right foot sure helps though!
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drhorsepower View Post
    Can you put this as a sticky?
    I've seen a couple treads that are sticky notes but I don't know the benefit of the sticky. Does it make the tread easier to find? are all sticks on their own page? Thanks.
    All Work And No Play Is No Good At All