Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recipes

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts

Recipes

Alright everyone, what is your "go to" recipe for deer steaks and burger? My wife and I have been running out of ideas and are tired of eating the same thing week after week. You don't have to include all of the specifics if you don't want to. We are more interested in finding new ideas to cook.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This should be a good thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL
    TT Xtreme FC Pro
    Custom Black Gold Ascent 4 pin
    GT Velocity 300's tipped with 125 Shuttle t's weighing 490 grains!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    This first one is not necessarily a recipe but this year for the first time I mixed 30% bacon bits and ends to 70% lean muley grind, it makes the best burgers I've had in a while. Also we use it for tacos and meatloaf, Give it a try !!!

One of my favorite Elk, Deer or Antelope steak recipe is pretty simple, shake on some fresh ground pepper, garlic salt and some sweet basil then put in a zip-lock bag, add some good olive oil (not to much), shake it up and let it soak for a few hours. Get the BBQ good and hot before you put em on. Medium rare is when they come off.......... enjoy!!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Simple yet effective: Put some flour in a plastic bag. Mix in salt and pepper or some other spices that might go well. Garlic salt is always a favorite. Have a pan heated to medium medium-high. with butter and vegetable oil in the pan. Put your thawed steaks in the bag and leave air in the bag. Close the top and shake the bag. It puts a light coat of flour on the steaks. Toss in the pan and fry to medium rare. SO much better this way than to just fry steaks up in a pan by themselves.
    My favorite: I take a glass or plastic bowl of some type and several eggs and milk in the bowl. Stir up completely. Put thawed deer steaks in the mixture and cover with the mixture. Cover with plastic and let them sit in the mixture in the fridge for a couple hours. (Not necessary but it's supposed to help break down the meat and make it even more tender.) On a large flat plate or dish take and crush a whole tube of Ritz crackers. Start to crush them while they are in the bag by hand first as it works very well doing it that way. Put butter and vegetable oil in a skillet and heat to medium medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot take a piece of steak one at a time out of the bowl making sure it's coated with the mixture. Quickly drop the meat onto the cracker crumb and make sure it's coated with crackers on both sides. Toss in the pan and cook until just turning a nice golden brown. Flip over and do the other side. Salt and Pepper to taste. They should turn out about perfect medium rare with some pink in the center. After a couple times doing it like this it will be easy to tell when the steaks will turn out medium rare. The meat will be juicy and tender and if the meat is a bit on the wild taste side, this almost completely removes any wild game taste and everyone will love it. Either of these two cooking ideas also will leave some "fixings" in the pan most likely. This makes a great base to use to make gravy with for potatoes!!
    Hamburger: It's easier if you are making your own game burger and grinding it at home, but it's still possible. When I am making my own game burger I use super fatty pork roasts (butt & ends) for my fat for the meat. I also will buy a very large bag or two of bacon ends and pieces (get the smokiest bacon you can buy). Once my game meat, pork, and bacon are all chopped up in pieces for the grinder, I grind my meat mixing it as I go. When I am finished grinding I mix the meat by hand one more time and then run it through the grinder once more. You now have instant bacon burgers without having to fry up slices of bacon. It really makes a great flavor to the meat. If you like bacon burgers, you will like game burgers made like this! They really make a great hamburger just like a nice beef burger. A lot of folks use game burger for chili, taco's, and other similar recipes, but if you try burgers like this, a game burger will taste every bit as good as a beef burger. Most people will not be able to tell that it's wild game this way either!!
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 2 Posts
    My wife calls this "Cowboy Casserole"
    2lb ground elk
    1 bell pepper ( I use yellow or orange for the color) diced
    1 onion diced
    28-32 oz diced tomatoes
    1 can pinto beans (rinsed/drained)
    1 can sweet corn (rinsed/drained)
    1 jar of sundried tomato Alfredo sauce
    1-1/2 cups shredded cheese
    1-1/2 cups noodles (cooked)
    1 Tbsp chipotle chili powder
    Salt/pepper to taste
    2 cloves garlic (minced)

You brown the burger w/ garlic, onion, and pepper. Then in a large casserole dish mix all the ingredients together excluding the shredded cheese. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese on top and bake at 350 for 35 minutes. It serves 8-10 people, and makes great leftovers.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 9 Posts
    I mix jalopenos, onions, garlic, peppers, seasonings, whatever you like into my deer/antelope burger and grind it all together. I use 15% beef fat and 15% beef in my mix. Then I make them into burger patties and vacuum seal and freeze them and they are all ready to go when I want burgers. I made some chicken fried antelope cube steaks that were awesome too! I also make alot of fresh and smoked sausage.

There is a thread on here IKIC started a couple years ago with alot of good recipes on it too, which reminds me I was going to add some of mine to it!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    mmmmmm! 10% sausage to deer or elk makes outstanding burgers. outstanding.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Cut a roast or loin in thin strips, eighth inch is great. Then in a bowl coat the strips with olive oil and then mix in Good Seasonings italian dressing dry mix. Flash fry the strips in a good thick skillet, and because the slices are thin you can get a good crust on the outside, and tender inside in just a couple minutes. Its kinda like an italian beef I guess. Family loves it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    We haven't bought beef outside a restaurant in almost a decade so I know where you're coming from with wanting new ideas. We have done French dip sandwiches, kabobs, meatballs (there are a hundred ways to make and use meatballs), meatloaf, hobo packs, chili, stew, teriyaki sticks (steak cut with the grain, soaked in sauce and grilled on a skewer), tacos, chimichangas, burritos, asian pepper steak, stroganoff, and when all else fails hamburger helper.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 9 Posts
    There is the link to the other recipe thread.

http://www.eastmans.com/forum/showth...e+meat+recipes

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post: