Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 33 Times in 4 Posts

Reloading equipment

About a year ago I started reloading my own rifle ammo. I own a trimmer and scale and a few other odds and ends but I've been using a buddies press, powder measure, and priming tool at his house while I was trying to decide if reloading is something I wanted to do. It's getting a little old using his stuff whenever I want to load so I want to get my own equipment. What does everyone recommend for a press, powder measure, and priming tool?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    About 25 years ago I bought a RCBS partner press kit and lee hand priming tool. It is the basics, but has served me well. I only load a couple hundred rounds a year so I don't own powder measure just a scale. I have had zero issues with this equipment. The only issue with the lee hand priming tool is you have to buy their shellholders for it, which isn't a big deal. I once owned a lyman trimmer and it was absolute junk and will never buy one of their products again.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    What type of reloading do you plan on doing? If you are just reloading rifle i would recommend a single stage or turret press. The progressive press is great for pistol but not ideal for rifle. I recommend hornady and you can get a lot of free bullets if you buy their stuff new right now.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I started reloading my own ammo about 5 yrs ago I use the rcbs rock chucker supreme kit. It has the single stage press and I have used it consistently with no issues. It's fairly simple to use even as a beginner. The hand priming tool it comes with works just fine for me. Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts

Reloading equipment

***I would recommend a rock Chucker as well. As far as priming tool, I feel the lee is the most user friendly. Powder measure I would look at any really depending on how much you want to spend. I will be going to a quick-measure this year if all pans out right.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have 2 RCBS presses and an old Pacific. I would recommend RCBS as well. I had a Lee press and it is pretty cheaply made IMO.
    The Lee priming tool is great however, beats the RCBS version and it's cheaper as well. I have RCBS powder measures too, a Uniflow for rifle ammo, and a RCBS "Little Dandy" for my handguns. I have a Lee measure also, but it's not as accurate as the RCBS units.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    Alot of good info here! I am wanting to start reloading and have been thinking about asking some of these questions as well. Mostly I want to reload some calibers that that are hard to find or very expensive to buy ammo for. .219 zipper, .32 remington, .32 s&w, .38 s&w, .38 s&w black powder, 32 s&w long, and 2 5/8'' 12 gauge black powder to start with. One question I have is are dies and shell holders standardized between different manufacturers or do you have to use the same make of dies and shell holders with the same make of press? I have been looking at Hornady presses but I can borrow an RCBS press to get started. Redding seems to make the most dies for the calibers I want to reload and they are generally cheaper then other makes.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 1 Post
    I have the RCBS Rock Chucker as well. Hard to beat it. I do have the piggy back attachement for progressive pistol reloading.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 33 Times in 4 Posts
    Thanks guys. That is some good info. Just what I was looking for. Right now I plan to reload my 280, 22-250, and 6mm so I'm thinking single stage type no progressive style.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Currently both Hornady and RCBS have rebates going on. For RCBS, spend $50, get $10 back, spend $300 get $50 back. For Hornady, you get 500 bullets for buying the press and 100 for each die set you buy.