Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 257 Weatherby

Thanks

257 Weatherby

What is everyone think about the 257 Weatherby? Is it a good caliber for deer or is the 25-06 and 6.5's better and more efficient?

Thanks
    It is a great caliber. It is not efficient.

If you are shooting past Maximum Point Blank Range (MPBR) the 6.5s especially have an advantage, due to their awesome BCs.

If you are sticking to MPBR, and don't shoot so often you torch your throat, it is a great caliber.

Thanks
    Go up to the search box and put in .257 Weatherby and a ton of posts will show up.

I like my 25-06. Had a .257 Wby too, but like the 25-06 better.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Go up to the search box and put in .257 Weatherby and a ton of posts will show up.

I like my 25-06. Had a .257 Wby too, but like the 25-06 better.
    Always liked Weatherby. My grandfather was personal friends with Roy Weatherby, Roy set him up on his first African safari. My grandfather swears by the 7mm Weatherby to this day at the age of 93. "No better caliber ever made for North American game".

I like the 25-06 better than the 257 Weatherby personally. Great performance with a lot less recoil. My wife killed a cow elk with the 25-06 last year. 1 shot dead in her tracks. I would jump up to the 7mm or 300 for a wider range of bullets and capability on bigger game.

However, If you did choose the 257 Weatherby I think it would perform wonderfully on any critter you would be after..

Just my opinion of course.

Matt

Thanks
    CC, didn't mean for my comments to be directed at you. Just realized I replied to your quote.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I have a 257. Always thought it would be good for pronghorn or white tail. Bullets are a bit spendy IMO.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mattdeere View Post
    CC, didn't mean for my comments to be directed at you. Just realized I replied to your quote.
    No problem. I went to school with Diane & Ed Weatherby, they lived in my neighborhood in Downey.

I had a .257 Wby and it took a lot of tinkering with my reloads to get it to shoot like I wanted. Lots of freebore and had to seat bullet out a lot further than factory specs. I did shoot a doe antelope in Wyoming in 2012 with it, one shot at 390 yds. BUT I also shot my buck with my 25-05, one shot at 471 yds. My 25-06 will do almost everything the Wby will do with less powder and slightly slower fps (about 75-80). Sold the Wby to a friend and he loves it. I have been shooting my Ruger M77 since 1977 and it still shoots less than MOA groups.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    1 drawback to Weatherby is factory ammo and guns chambered in them is pretty limited. They are good guns and calibers though. I know someone that has a 270 Weatherby that really likes it.

Thanks
    I have one as well. Use it strictly for open country deer and pronghorns. I don't know how many critters I've stacked up with it but its a bunch, all between 45 and 500+ yards, that is about as spread out as it gets for performance. I shoot the 100 grain TSX and have NEVER had any animal take even one step. I'm sure the 25-06 is a fine round as well, I just have an affinity for Weatherby's. I do have to say that if doing anything long range (over 500 yards) I shoot my 338-378. I once had a guy at the range ask me why I shot such a "huge" gun after the muzzle blast blew the stuff laying haplessly on his bench onto the ground. I smiled while squinting into the sun and replied... "because I can!" That sums up anything Weatherby or the like... the standard stuff works great but the Weatherby stuff? Why Not! However, my motto is still... "let's get closer."

Thanks
    I'm sure the 257 Weatherby is a great cartridge but I've never used one personally. We have a 25-06 in our household and it sure is a sweet round. Great for coyotes, deer, antelope, and occasionally on elk.
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson