Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

What to do with 4 pref. points?

I have 4 pp for Colorado and need some advice on what to do. I have gotten some real good information from a former guide on some areas to elk hunt. But the area only required 1 point to get drawn. I feel like I would be wasting my points by going for that unit. I am an archery hunter but have no problem shooting one with a muzzle loader. In fact, that's what we sort of planned on doing anyway. I just wanted to see some opinions on how I should spend my points. What unit to go after and weapon? Bow or muzzle loader?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 34 Times in 4 Posts
    Welcome! There is a lot of information here from guys much more knowledgeable than I. But please as a new member introduce and tell us a little about yourself.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Work2hunt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    If I had solid info, that I really trusted, I'd hunt the unit.... Then, go back and hunt it again every other year.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fink For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    If I had solid info, that I really trusted, I'd hunt the unit.... Then, go back and hunt it again every other year.
    That would be a great plan, Fink. I wouldn't feel like I wasted them either.

Welcome to EF, mboyett1976.

Check out this thread:

http://www.eastmans.com/forum/showth...orum-Etiquette

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bitterroot Bulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Welcome to the forum!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 57 Times in 8 Posts
    Welcome to the forum mboyett. I don't think there are any "bargain" hunts for Colorado elk. All the good units are taking a ridiculous number of points. I would go for a muzzy hunt in a unit you can draw.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 3 Posts
    I agree with UH. Muzz is the best option.
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eberle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Sorry guys, I apologize for the lack of etiquette. I am new to using forums and was unaware. My name is Micheal Boyett and was born and raised in N. Louisiana. My primary hunting interests are whitetail deer and wild turkey and have hunted several mid western states on private and public land for both over the past 10 - 15 years. So, I would be willing to help out anyone that is interested in some public land spots in the mid west. I have elk hunted Colorado 3 times in unit 77 and have had success there. I have been a subscriber to Eastman's for several years now and have enjoyed there magazine. Also, I appreciate all the information that you guys have posted. I know it's tough for some hunters to give up any information on a good spot.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 34 Times in 4 Posts
    Welcome. Would love to see some pictures and hear some stories.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mboyett1976 View Post
    I have 4 pp for Colorado and need some advice on what to do. I have gotten some real good information from a former guide on some areas to elk hunt. But the area only required 1 point to get drawn. I feel like I would be wasting my points by going for that unit. I am an archery hunter but have no problem shooting one with a muzzle loader. In fact, that's what we sort of planned on doing anyway. I just wanted to see some opinions on how I should spend my points. What unit to go after and weapon? Bow or muzzle loader?
    With only 4 points your a LONG way's away from any of the true trophy units in Colorado. I would find a decent area that takes 3 or 4 points and go ahead and draw it. If you have good intel from a guide, I definitely wouldn't dismiss it because you would "waste" your points. If the end result is what your looking for, then who cares about the points? Case in point... I drew a 2nd choice deer tag in Colorado and shot a really nice buck. I then didn't deer hunt for a few years while I was building points. I finally drew the tag I was after and got skunked. So which hunt was better, the one that took 4 points to draw or the 2nd choice? I think a lot of guy's think just because a unit takes "X" points that it's a guarantee on a trophy animal. It's not...

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CoHiCntry For This Useful Post: