Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wyoming Non-resident guide required?

Hey all, I'm new to the forum and hoping to get some clarification on the guide requirement to hunt big game in Wyoming. According to the MRS info, a guide is required for a non-resident to hunt big game in "designated wilderness areas." Does this include all public hunting areas or are there only certain types of areas that require a guide? If only certain areas apply, what types?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 57 Times in 8 Posts
    If you look at the unit maps in the regulations, there is crosshatching in all of the designated wilderness. That is where a guide is required.

The largest majority is in the areas near Yellowstone, with some in the Bighorn Mountains (north central Wyoming) and a bit in the SE part of the state, I believe that is the Snowy range.

There is an immense amount of public land in Wyoming where no guide is required and you can have a great DIY hunt.

We'd love to learn more about you and have you stick around the forum and share your hunting experiences. Would you consider starting a thread and introducing yourself?

Thanks

UH
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 02-10-2014 at 10:49 PM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    You can hunt forest service, blm, state land, ect without a guide. You only need a guide to hunt wilderness areas.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swehla View Post
    Hey all, I'm new to the forum and hoping to get some clarification on the guide requirement to hunt big game in Wyoming. According to the MRS info, a guide is required for a non-resident to hunt big game in "designated wilderness areas." Does this include all public hunting areas or are there only certain types of areas that require a guide? If only certain areas apply, what types?
    swehla, you can camp/fish/hike/birdwatch or play pocket pool in the wilderness, you just can't HUNT. A lousy law pushed by the outfitters and passed by a pro rancher/outfitter legislature. That's only if you're a non-resident. Totally unfair, it's public land owned by the American citizens.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 46 Times in 8 Posts
    If you know a resident, they are allowed to take up to two nonpaying hunters into the wilderness areas each year, but there can be no remuneration of any type for doing it. That allows previous residents, relatives, etc. to hunt it with another relative or friend without hiring a guide. The permit to do it is free from the G&F.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    If you know a resident, they are allowed to take up to two nonpaying hunters into the wilderness areas each year, but there can be no remuneration of any type for doing it. That allows previous residents, relatives, etc. to hunt it with another relative or friend without hiring a guide. The permit to do it is free from the G&F.
    Sorry for butting in, but if I have a cousin in wyoming he can take me to the wilderness areas? Like the stuff in region h? He is a resident. With no guide, if I understand correctly. If that's the case I may have to do some sweet talking and head for h someday. I assume it would be the same for mule deer?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 5 Posts
    Yes, your cousin can take you into wilderness area. He has to apply for a resident guide license for that year you want to hunt (it does not cost much). I was trying to find the info on the WY game and fish site, when I find it ill put it up.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ssliger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks alot I'll have to talk to him!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 3 Posts
    It's been 6 years since I was doing this, but here's how I remember it working:

The resident is allowed to obtain one guide license for a consecutive two-week period per calendar year.

Maximum 1 guide - 2 NR ratio

No payment for services allowed

I want to say that the guide license doesn't cost anything, but the NR and/or Outfitter may have been picking this cost up for me.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to libidilatimmy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Do you guys think it would be alot better hunting in the wilderness? Or would it be a headache trying to do the resident license thing? I have heard that it isn't much better, but I have never been there.