Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'll add

Have realistic expectations
    It's probably not going to be like tv where wild turkeys walk up while your caping trophy bull elk in beautiful weather.
    3:55 fourth video breaking down elk.
    I learned much from that series. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kentuckyhunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Turn the power down on your scope, I saw one fella across a canyon from me jump a big mulie almost underfoot. He never shot, and I wondered why. Ran into the guy later, and asked why he didn't shoot that deer. I had been glassing him for an hour, and knew he was a shooter. He said he couldn't find him in his scope. He had the power cranked-up to 14! And still did later when I talked to him. He was from Wisconsin, and someone told him it was all long range shooting out here, and he was prepared!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shootbrownelk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 27 Times in 1 Post
    There are definitely some great points covered. I wish I had read this thread before my first trip! One additional thing I would add is while you need to be prepared to not get an animal on your first trip, you also need to know what you will do when you do take an animal. I know that I always thought of elk as just a big deer, trying to get my first one back to the trailhead was a circus. Have a plan on what you will do to get an animal out before you ever release an arrow/pull the trigger.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Engideer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    Stop, take a deep breath and enjoy your surroundings. Sometimes you get so focused on trying to kill something you don't think to enjoy everything that is happening and what your seeing.
    I've been big game hunting 60 years and before then used to tag along with my Dad & Grandfather deer hunting. They still hunted (really slow walking & glassing) and I still do. the one thing they hammered into my head was....Slow Down, Look, Listen. Some of the guys I used to hunt with thought it was a footrace to get to the next ridge or canyon. I don't know how many deer & elk I have shot that they went right passed. Slow is good.......especially at my age!!!LOL

Lots of good advice that is ALL important.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 3 Posts
    Water! Drink lots of water. My body needs 126 ounces of fluids everyday to be properly hydrated! Figure half your bodyweight in ounces each day. A lot of folks come out here from more humid climates and suffer horribly for lack of hydration. Elevation exacerbates this tenfold so that "altitude sickness" you're feeling? Its really dehydration... Drink up! If you don't like water or need something different get some flavoring for it (Wilderness Athlete, Mio, Gatorade, Crystal Light, etc.)

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grizz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    Stop, take a deep breath and enjoy your surroundings. Sometimes you get so focused on trying to kill something you don't think to enjoy everything that is happening and what your seeing.
    Don, I find myself doing more and more of that the closer I get to 70! Them mountains seem to be growing these days.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to shootbrownelk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I've been big game hunting 60 years and before then used to tag along with my Dad & Grandfather deer hunting. They still hunted (really slow walking & glassing) and I still do. the one thing they hammered into my head was....Slow Down, Look, Listen. Some of the guys I used to hunt with thought it was a footrace to get to the next ridge or canyon. I don't know how many deer & elk I have shot that they went right passed. Slow is good.......especially at my age!!!LOL

Really good advice Cowboy, that's what I call "Sneakin' & Peekin" works whenever I employ it. Got my elk last year doing just that.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hey guys, Brandon Mason here from Eastmans'. This is all great info and dialogue! Forgive me if someone else already mentioned this, but one thing I wish someone would've told me on my first backpack hunt is not to overpack. I learned the hard way, as many have, that just because your pack has the room doesn't mean that you need to fill it. On my first big excursion I was headed in 10 miles deep on foot with a couple of friends. They had packs that weighted around 40 lbs and mine weighed 65!!!! Needless to say I was wore out by the time we even made it back to our hunting spot in a wilderness area. Between getting lighter gear and not packing the kitchen sink with me, my pack weight is much more manageable now. You'll only make the mistake of carrying a heavy pack in once...it will scar you for life

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MulyBux7077 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 60 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post

I was taught the same way, most of the animals I have taken were while still hunting. Its hard to slow down sometimes, it's amazing how alive the woods get when you are doing it right.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 60 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    Turn the power down on your scope, I saw one fella across a canyon from me jump a big mulie almost underfoot. He never shot, and I wondered why. Ran into the guy later, and asked why he didn't shoot that deer. I had been glassing him for an hour, and knew he was a shooter. He said he couldn't find him in his scope. He had the power cranked-up to 14! And still did later when I talked to him. He was from Wisconsin, and someone told him it was all long range shooting out here, and he was prepared!
    I made that mistake on my sheep hunt, shot my ram @ 18 yards with the scope on 9x I had to look over the scope before I was sure I was on him.