Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wyoming Moose

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 45 Times in 3 Posts

Wyoming Moose

Hey guys!
    So im at work and hunting is on my mind like always! I had a question for everyone here; I have 15 moose points going into the 2014 Wyoming resident draw for moose and I always apply for area 1 (I grew up in the town of big horn and was 10 minutes from the top of the mountains), the question is, keep applying for area 1 and draw my moose tag 10-15 years from now or put in for another area and hope to get two moose tags before my time is up. Or if anyone has any advice on a decent area I could draw now, I would appreciate it. Ive been looking at area 26 but with 40 tags I dont want to be fighting people. I know this is going to have to be up to me but just curious what the general consensus is. Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 3 Posts
    This is the dilemma all of the best moose areas pose. About the only way for a resident with less than max (or even max points in some cases) can draw these areas without astronomical odds is to move out of state for a year with your points, get the license as a NR, and then move back in state.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to libidilatimmy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 56 Times in 8 Posts
    Well here's a place to start. This appears to be the units you could draw (100%), or have a very good chance to draw: 3, 4, 5, 16, 17, 18, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 30, 35, 36.

You currently have 290 applicants ahead of you and 139 in your point pool. See the preference point report:

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/Departme..._130004710.pdf

The most in demand units (Unit 1, 9, 34, 38, 42) are drawing out about 37 resident tags per year with a few other top point applicants going for some of the less in demand units, so each year roughly 50 applicants ahead of you are drawing out. With some attrition, you are about 6 years from being in the preference point pool for the top units in the state and should draw a top unit in 9 years or less, barring any substantial changes. Controlling the wolf population could accelerate that.

With that said, there are a lot of units in the list that you can draw that would be a great hunt. I hunted Unit 25 in 1999, and my hunt lasted all of 45 minutes. Unit 23 at one time was on of the hot spots in the state. I've heard of guys seeing some great bulls in Unit 20, but also one guy who had a tough time in there. I'd do some research on Units 20, 23, 24, 25 and 26 as the better units if you want to hunt now.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 02-11-2014 at 11:25 AM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 1 Post
    I've been thinking the exact same thing and have been looking pretty hard at 26. I know I probably wouldn't draw this year with my 13 points but I don't want to anyway because my dad should draw sheep this year and I want to have plenty of time for that. Like you, I apply in 1 every year so that's what I'll do again this year and hope for a random draw tag. But, next year I'll be in your shoes. If I was you this year, I'd try and draw soon so that you can start rebuilding points again. After the 5 year wait, of course. When you already have 15 points it's crazy to think that you may have to wait another 15 years. The Bighorns have some awesome moose but man that's a long wait. I'd rather try and get two bulls, even if the lesser areas don't have as good of trophy potential. Moose meat is amazing!
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elkoholic307 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'd wait the 9 years for the tag you want unless the opportunity presented itself in an area you knew you could tag a big bull. You already know the Bighorns and that's a huge advantage. This is the same dilemma the nonresidents face. Some guys can't wait and give in for a lesser unit (especially one they are not familiar with) and wind up shooting a lesser bull and are disappointed. You may give in and try to get 2 bulls in your lifetime, but those 2 bulls may not wind up being big ones that you could have gotten in Area 1. On a side note Area 26 is back on the rebound and they are taking some huge bulls out there again. Remember at one time 26 was the best moose area in the state and had the state record so its worth a look. I know 26 gives out 40 tags, but its a huge area and most guys I know that hunt elk there never see a moose hunter in the north section and see plenty of big bulls...most guys try the south side...good luck and hang in there!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 30Hart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    How old are you?

I lean towards what 30Hart said. I'm sure you know the Bighorns really well and would already have a big advantage on that unit. Let's say you draw the tag this year. Then you have a 5 year wait and build points for 20 years. 25 years from now, is 20 points going to be enough to draw again in a unit that you want to go to? Maybe it's possible; I don't really know the point situation for residents. I just feel like unless you are very young or pull a tag in the random drawing, moose and sheep tags in Wyoming are pretty close to once in a lifetime tags.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NDHunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for all the info guys! I seriously appreciate it, I had this same dilemma last year and decided to wait. I think its going to come down to how im feeling on the day of the draw. A 44inch moose would definitely be awesome, but what 30hart said. if I get a small bull ill never be able to forgive myself for not waiting. Im turning 32 pretty soon so another 25 years I may not be here and you old farts definitely wont be so HA!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Kiddwinner- you were so gracious in offering to help me, that I now see you have a similar dilimma. However, you are in a much better position to succeed on a great bull, since you have time on your side.

IMO- I HIGHLY recommend you follow your heart and your goal. You have the time to pull off a once in a lifetime hunt, and you can do it basically in your back yard. It comes down to following your heart. I don't have that luxury as a Non-Resident to wait 10 years anymore, since I am becoming one of those old farts-at least I don't think so, but my heart is telling me something, and my body is telling me another. I'm almost to the point where I may go for broke or nothing, since that was my goal and my dream.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    DH56 I know what you mean, I guess the best way to put it is Im really feeling like staying in until I draw a type 1 tag, think I will now. Maybe if I lived closer to where I could scout more it may be different. thanks for the help everyone!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kiddwinner View Post
    DH56 I know what you mean, I guess the best way to put it is Im really feeling like staying in until I draw a type 1 tag, think I will now. Maybe if I lived closer to where I could scout more it may be different. thanks for the help everyone!
    Well good luck kiddwinner with whatever you decide to do. I have 11 NR points and I'm holding out for 26. Last year was 23% draw with 13 points. 2012 was 85% with 12. I didn't look at resident but I bet the odds are steeper.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mattdeere For This Useful Post: