Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 48 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Never in Doubt View Post
    That's a scary one right there! At least your state allows you to carry a sidearm if you choose.
    Yea pretty hair raising to say the least!! Still debating on carrying a sidearm.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 4 Posts
    I had a nerve-racking encounter several years ago on Kodiak Island.
    I was hunting blacktail deer and had spotted a nice buck high up on a ridge. The day was overcast, and as I hiked up towards he buck the cloud ceiling started to lower. By the time I got on the same ridge and was getting close, the buck was in and out of the fog and moving away at an angle. I decided to try and get around him by dropping down into a shallow basin and moving in front. As I did, the fog layer dropped even more and was denser than I thought.
    I was starting to push through a patch of alders when a brown bear, obviously very close, started huffing and chomping her teeth. I couldn't see her and couldn't really pinpoint where she was by the sound, but she was way too close! It's scary to be that close to a bear when you can see them, even scarier when you can't see them! She pretty much had all of my attention, I forgot all about the buck at this point.
    I don't think she had me pinpointed either and she was nervous too, I could hear her breathing. I doubt that she was 50 yards away and I occasionally could hear the alders rustle and knew that there was more than one bear with me by the sounds of it.
    I didn't know exactly where they were but I did know where they had not been just a couple minutes earlier, so I started retracing my path out of there the best I could. Fortunately, I made it down the hill without incident. I saw the bears the next day in the same general spot, a sow with two second-year cubs, all beautiful.
    I was carrying my .300 Weatherby that trip and took several nice bucks with it. I'm glad I didn't have to shoot a bear!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AKaviator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Kodiak Island 2006 - Opening day of deer season after a summer of living on seafood while being a crew member for a commercial fishing outfit had my buddy and I scrambling up the mountain behind camp for some fresh red meat. The fog was intense but that was nothing new, its Kodiak! It did keep us from getting as far up the mountain as we wanted that day. Luckily, the fog and weather had also pushed down some of the bucks from their high perches. If you’ve ever hunted blacktails or mulies in August or September then you have a pretty good idea what it is like to hunt sheep. You cannot hunt that country if the conditions are zero, zero. We had no choice but to drop down below the clouds. Upon losing a couple hundred feet of elevation we stumbled upon a couple of young bucks bedded on an open tundra bench. The shot was just over 300 yards and with two sent bullets we had 120 odd pounds of fresh blacktail to eat with the crab, salmon, and halibut we’d been living on. However, it was getting the meat back to camp that proved to be the most interesting part of the hunt. With the two bucks laying about thirty yards apart my buddy and I began quartering and deboning the animals. We were working diligently and barely talking back and forth (read mistake). Upon finishing our work my buddy went over to a small spring to wash up while I loaded his meat in his pack and was in the process of loading mine and slinging it onto my back when I heard the willows snapping about ten yards downwind of me… only one thing on that island gets that close downwind of a bloody, sweaty human… you guessed it and so did I. Without hesitation I grabbed my .338 Winnie and swung it to my shoulder as I stood. Staring back at me over the willows a scarce two bounds away was a very curious brown bear standing erect trying to figure out the situation. I was looking over the top of my scope at the bear ready to shift into the crosshairs and deliver death at 3000 feet per second. I began talking to the bruin hoping to identify myself as a human and not lunch. I’m not sure if it was the words or the Winchester that spoke more loudly but the brownie dropped to all fours and shuffled off until he figured he had saved enough face and then bolted into the alders about fifty yards away. My buddy had heard me yelling at the bear but decided he was safer where he was and didn’t even see the bear. Some friend… all in all, we made six more hunts up that mountain and killed four more bucks and never even saw another bear but that is the hunt that stands out the most.

Other memorable events; walking fourteen miles into camp leading a pack string after losing a horse and rig off the top of Deer Creek Pass going into the Thorofare, falling headfirst into a ten foot pit while guiding a party of fly-fisherwomen on a mountain stream, stepping on a very pleasantly dispositioned rattler while guiding more fly-fishers… I wonder what comes next?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Grizz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Dang it AK, you beat me to it!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Grizz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good brown bear stories Grizz and AKavitor. Both on Kodiak to boot. Thanks, I enjoyed reading them.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin Root For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post

Other memorable events; walking fourteen miles into camp leading a pack string after losing a horse and rig off the top of Deer Creek Pass going into the Thorofare
    That my friend is one hell of a canyon on the SE side of the pass coming up from the trailhead. Bet your glad you didn't go with the horse!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    More thankful than you can imagine! My butt was puckered for the entire trip.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    The outfitter made us walk the stock up the trail for the last 3 or 4 switchbacks before the pass.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That is smart. Which outfitter did you go with?
    PM me if you don't want to post it here or want to swap Thorofare stories... I've got a couple more.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Dang it AK, you beat me to it!
    I lived on Kodiak from 1987 thru 1991, I loved living there, it was a sportsman's paradise! I still have good friends over there.