Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Had a few scary moments in the Thorofare myself. Had to hand-lead my horse around a big deadfall on a hill with a shale slide. Going up wasn't so bad, but coming back down to the trail with a horse sliding down behind you is a little frightening. Other than that, I stepped on a small rattler while hunting mulies in western nodak. Had never seen or heard a rattler in the wild before, so what are the odds that I would step directly on the first one?
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberstalker View Post
    Velvet, that looks like it hurt! Glad you were able to get help quick. I chopped my left hand with an ax chopping kindling a couple days before elk season started a few years ago. 13 stitches later and I was back on the mountain that evening glassing, not near the injury you dealt with, but it was a pain in the azz though out the season.
    My calf muscle was sliced pretty good so it was really stiff. Had to walk around the motel just to get it to loosen up enough to walk without a limp. I had to keep it elevated for a day so it wouldn't bleed. But I toughed it out for the last day and snuck up on a goat twice from a ways out. Always have to watch sharp objects, one wrong move and it can be dangerous.
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonArrow View Post
    Other than that, I stepped on a small rattler while hunting mulies in western nodak. Had never seen or heard a rattler in the wild before, so what are the odds that I would step directly on the first one?
    I stopped my truck on a gravel road in WY to take pics, walked around the back and nearly stepped on a small rattler. Now what are the odds of parking with a rattle snake 4 inches past your bumper? I jumped up on the bumper, grabbed a shovel and killed it!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 27 Times in 5 Posts
    Lightning, lightning and more lightning! Last year archery deer season was insane. I hunted opening week by myself packed in about 3 miles, stayed at close to 10,000' on a ridge between 3 awesome basins that I could glass from camp. That week passed and I came back for the final week with the same plan. For some weird reason I opted to stay at my base camp and not pack in, thank god! For 3 days solid the rain and lightning was fierce, I'd hunt as much as I could then high tail it when the clouds would roll in thick. One stalk left me huddled in my poncho, when I got back to my boots they had filled half way up with water (I turn my boots over now). Sitting there huddled up soaking wet a bolt of lightning struck only a few hundred feet away, scared the piss outta me. With the smell of sulfur and my hairs standing on end I ran, had to climb a high ridge to drop down to camp. Several more strikes happened around me, haven't been that scared in awhile. Two more stalks left me in similar situations and I called it quits, packed up and called it for the season.
    Last edited by JasonGNV; 02-12-2014 at 06:30 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 2 Posts
    Lightning is freaky! Can't shoot it, out run it, or kill it with a shovel, and you never know where it will hit next... Lightning strikes and I'm gone.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Grizz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    That is smart. Which outfitter did you go with?
    PM me if you don't want to post it here or want to swap Thorofare stories... I've got a couple more.
    I went with Hidden Creek Outfitters which Bill Perry runs. I'll PM you with some of my experiences.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Some great stories guys! Thanks for sharing.
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I went with Hidden Creek Outfitters which Bill Perry runs. I'll PM you with some of my experiences.
    I know Bill... we were just getting ready to dismount when we lost the saddle horse. We probably rode too far up that day, should have been walking but you never know. That is a great trip though definitely not what it used to be.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts

Close Calls while Hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonGNV View Post
    Lightning, lightning and more lightning! Last year archery deer season was insane. I hunted opening week by myself packed in about 3 miles, stayed at close to 10,000' on a ridge between 3 awesome basins that I could glass from camp. That week passed and I came back for the final week with the same plan. For some weird reason I opted to stay at my base camp and not pack in, thank god! For 3 days solid the rain and lightning was fierce, I'd hunt as much as I could then high tail it when the clouds would roll in thick. One stalk left me huddled in my poncho, when I got back to my boots they had filled half way up with water (I turn my boots over now). Sitting there huddled up soaking wet a bolt of lightning struck only a few hundred feet away, scared the piss outta me. With the smell of sulfur and my hairs standing on end I ran, had to climb a high ridge to drop down to camp. Several more strikes happened around me, haven't been that scared in awhile. Two more stalks left me in similar situations and I called it quits, packed up and called it for the season.
    I know someone and their son got struck twice on the head in the same spot while elk hunting. That is scary.
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 77 Times in 10 Posts
    Man I hate lightning!!!