Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    If there is a reduction in nonresident licenses, one of many issues that will have to be dealt with is the substantial fees the state has taken in over the past 8 years for preference points. The point system has created an expectation that a certain amount of tags are available and the applicants are making an investment towards those tags. For a non-resident applying for points for sheep, moose, elk, deer and antelope, they have been investing $295 per year to accrue points.

One personal example, for moose, I have invested $675 in points. I am already concerned that I may not draw the tag in my lifetime, a further reduction in tags will pretty much make that a certainty.
    Don't suppose that a NR hunter with lots of extra cash and a good lawyer might have the same idea!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    I don't see how most of the western states could survive without the NR money. They have viewed the NR as a cash cow for 30 years or more and the way the system is set up in most of these states they can't survive w/o their money!!!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 3 Posts
    If I'm understanding this correctly, this bill will cut millions in revenue for the WGF from the NR deer and antelope License sales side. An organization that's currently whining about not having enough money to support itself. Seriously doubt it flies.
    Last edited by libidilatimmy; 02-12-2014 at 09:22 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by libidilatimmy View Post
    I also see that HB0031 (discussed in an earlier thread here) which was the bill introduced for the 10% across the board license fee increase failed introduction.
    I read that this morning in the Star Tribune. Failed introduction.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 45 Times in 7 Posts
    The problem with a Bill like that is that all the Legislator that backs it looks at is appeasing his constituents and not at the real ramifications it might have. NRs put in 80% of what the G&F takes in for license fees, along with PPs and the Conservation Stamp. To even draw up a Bill like that without something to go along with it and make up the huge difference in cash loss is ridiculous. One guy on another website said to just pass it and we'll work out the details later, LOL! That sounds like when Nancy Pelosi got up before the press and told all the Legislators in DC to just pass the Obamacare Bill and they could read what's in it later. You know where that got us!

UH---That is another whole argument to start messing with a system where many have thousands of dollars invested in PPs, application fees, license cost in states that make you buy one just to buy a PP, etc. If a state, in this case Wyoming, were to make a major change in the system that people figure is not going to change, then a reasonable alternative needs to be made to give them a refund of their money they have in the system or some such thing to make a person whole.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 02-12-2014 at 11:34 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Guys and Gals, this bill won't be introduced this session from what I just heard from a very reliable source.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My House rep advised he felt confident the matter will be back next year...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 57 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    UH---That is another whole argument to start messing with a system where many have thousands of dollars invested in PPs, application fees, license cost in states that make you buy one just to buy a PP, etc. If a state, in this case Wyoming, were to make a major change in the system that people figure is not going to change, then a reasonable alternative needs to be made to give them a refund of their money they have in the system or some such thing to make a person whole.
    Yeppers TG…to further that thought, if a state simply gave you a point each year you applied for a tag and didn't get it, that would be one thing. However, when a state charges a significant fee, for a "point only" option, that offering implies that those points have future value and you are building preference for future year's draws. As you said, if tag numbers were substantially reduced, I would certainly want to receive a refund for points purchased for my wife, my children and I.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree UH, if it went 90/10 for sheep/moose from where it was before I believe a case for fraud could be made against the state and probably statistically proven unless they changed the whole system to a random draw with points (each point just gives you an extra chance or squared them like Montana), but to change it to 90/10 and still keep only the top point holders drawing would be fraud for everyone else that invested in the model.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Where's Zim? He's usually good for some comments when it comes to states and how they run their preference/bonus point shenanigans.