Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer Tag

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Deer Tag

I got a buddy with enough points to draw just about any tag he would want for deer. He was thinking the Trout Creek area, but don't know much about it and haven't heard anything that shows much promise.

I was wondering if anyone on here has any other suggestions on where to go?

Thanks,
    newguy220

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    I sure wouldn't burn a bunch of point on the Trouts. I haven't heard much of anything out of there in a very very long time. I burned 16 points a few years ago, and watched that unit for a long time when I had a guaranteed tag, and never saw it being worth it.

How many points does your friend have? If he has a ton of them, the White River late November hunt is the best hunt in the state. It is for blacktails, but it may be the best blacktail tag in the whole northwest. Some truly huge blacktails come off of that hunt.

My thoughts are you can draw a far better mule deer tag in Colorado with a handful of points than you will draw in any unit in Oregon. There are few places if any you can kill a better blacktail consistently than that White River late hunt.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 02-12-2014 at 10:55 PM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Colorado soured me a little bit with the new $40 charge for a preference point, if you didn't have a license last year. So, to keep building points in Colorado your looking at $53 a year. ($3 app fee and $10 habitat stamp)

White River late is a good option or perhaps Mt. Emily late. Trout Creek and the Steens should improve in the future because of the active management with the cat population.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If I had enough points, I would apply for the Mt Emily late hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by newguy220 View Post
    I got a buddy with enough points to draw just about any tag he would want for deer. He was thinking the Trout Creek area, but don't know much about it and haven't heard anything that shows much promise.

I was wondering if anyone on here has any other suggestions on where to go?

Thanks,
    newguy220
    I think it depends on what you are looking to get out of a hunt. If you want a cool looking buck that is part blacktail but not by Boone and Crockett standards then White River might be your answer I have some ideas if your interested PM me what your buddy is looking for and I will respond with your best options.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Metolius late archey is one to look at. I agree that White river late would be a fantastic hunt too. The desert hunting in Oregon is tough, even the few rut hunts available aren't producing well lately. " The Deer" likely knows more about desert hunting than I.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberstalker View Post
    Metolius late archey is one to look at. I agree that White river late would be a fantastic hunt too. The desert hunting in Oregon is tough, even the few rut hunts available aren't producing well lately. " The Deer" likely knows more about desert hunting than I.
    I second the archery Metolius hunt. I just may draw it this year!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hey thanks for the info guys. What about the east side of Whitehorse? Or any of the units by Hells Canyon?

Thanks,
    newguy220

Thanks
    Congratulations
    From the areas your asking about it seems your buddy is looking for an open country hunt. IMO there are very few deer in any open areas in Oregon. I had a 2 week hunt in hells canyon a couple years ago, I saw a hand full of deer in that 2 weeks, one or two that were nice bucks. The unit I was in only takes a few points to draw. I hunted the Whitehorse Muzzle loader hunt in '05, 5 days hunting in November I saw 6-7 bucks, I shot a 22" 4x4 on that hunt, it was the biggest one I saw. While on that hunt I talked to the folks in Jordan Valley, they said all the deer are in Idaho.
    Last edited by Timberstalker; 02-13-2014 at 10:21 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree on the White River late tag. The NE Whitehorse MZ tag is a fun hunt, but it can be a little weather dependent, there is a couple nice pockets of resident deer, but weather pushes a lot over from ID. I'd definitely wait on the Trout Creeks for at least a couple years. He can draw a archery tag in the trouts last choice (unlimited) and still get another pt., if he wants to check it out first!