Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 3 Posts

WY deer areas 78,79,80,81 and 83

I have two deer points and at 63yr old, there is no way I'm going to draw a real good limited deer tag. I've been looking at these areas now that they are in the Limited draw. I've hunted region D a few times in the past and killed a 167 point deer there about 8ys ago. I was going to buy another deer point but with point creep and bill HB0112, I decided to look at these areas. I'd like to get your feeling on these. I'd be happy with a 150-170 point deer. I know this area had some winter kill a few years back

1. Are any of these areas better than another?
    2. Can a deer like I want still be killed in these areas?
    3. Should I wait and apply in a year or two and still hope to draw them?

Any info from some one who has hunted these recently would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 2 Posts
    I live in Laramie, and the quality is still way down. If you can get on private property you would be able to reach your goal, but if it's public land you will probably only see immature 3's and 4's. I honestly think it will take at least 5 years of LE before we start seeing quality deer over here. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ssliger View Post
    I live in Laramie, and the quality is still way down. If you can get on private property you would be able to reach your goal, but if it's public land you will probably only see immature 3's and 4's. I honestly think it will take at least 5 years of LE before we start seeing quality deer over here. Just my 2 cents.
    I would tend to agree with ssliger. I would also take it a further and say the quotas are a bit high for the quantity of deer available currently. Additionally, the season Oct. 1-14 is typically a very tough time to hunt a mature mule deer (from the "150-170" I am going to assume you would kill most any mature 4+ yo deer). I think a mature muley at that time (on public land) is probably one of the toughest critters in the world to kill. I would not give these areas the high marks they are currently getting. I suspect a majority of hunters who think they're going to get a crack at a mature deer in these areas will be disappointed.

IF you have access to private or IF you can archery hunt and scout prior I can see you're hunt going better.
    Last edited by HiMtnHnter; 02-13-2014 at 12:18 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    ss,
    Thanks for the reply and you honest assessment of those areas. Eastman's report also said the same thing. Too bad that area got beat up so bad, I really enjoyed hunting there. I hunted mostly south of encampment but did hunt around centennial and snowy's a few times. I should have hunted it a few times more times before the bad winter die off's. It almost seems like the amount of tags they give out in each of those areas is still a little high.
    May have to see what 2 or 3 points in the special draw will buy me.
    Thanks again.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks HIMt. Looks like you cemented my decision not to hunt there.