Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    They capture the bison that migrate onto private land with cattle. Bison carry a brucellosis disease that if the livestock catch, they will abort all their calves. They have been doing this for some time now. Some years its a lot and others its a few bison. Once again its all stemming from landowners pressuring that something be done. Its a pretty simple system if you haven't seen it done before. I assume that's why they won't offer more tags (which would be nice).

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by birdhunter View Post
    Bison carry a brucellosis disease that if the livestock catch, they will abort all their calves. They have been doing this for some time now.
    Yet, there's never been a documented case of domestic cattle transmitting brucellosis from a wild bison...
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    amen fink, amen.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Brucellosis is a big concern in beef cattle. If I was running cattle around there I wouldnt want Buffalo that could have it mixing in with my cows either.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Why the hell haven't they been maintaining the population already? Just like the wolves, wait till it's to late. So they couldn't let a certain amount of people in to hunt a few in the fall?

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    They have been culling the bison herd every year in yellowstone for many years. This isnt a new thing, just getting more recognition for some reason this time. . It is illegal to hunt inside Yellowstone, and they arent about to try to activate a new legislation to allow people to be part of the cull process when they dont need to. Other national parks, such as Teddy Roosevelt in the dakotas and even Grand Teton just north of Jackson have "reduction programs" in place. I dont believe you will ever see that occur in Yellowstone. The antis would go ballistic...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mntnguide View Post
    They have been culling the bison herd every year in yellowstone for many years. This isnt a new thing, just getting more recognition for some reason this time. . It is illegal to hunt inside Yellowstone, and they arent about to try to activate a new legislation to allow people to be part of the cull process when they dont need to. Other national parks, such as Teddy Roosevelt in the dakotas and even Grand Teton just north of Jackson have "reduction programs" in place. I dont believe you will ever see that occur in Yellowstone. The antis would go ballistic...
    When Teddy visited Yellowstone his intentions were to hunt and take back some taxidermy samples, after he caught heck over it he decided against it (at least it was not documented to my knowledge). He did skin a few rodents for the taking though!

IMO a proper wildlife management plan could be instated for places like Yellowstone, all it would take is proper ethical legislation and the backing of major wildlife groups. If we can re-introduce a extinct animal then we can save the ones already there, EDUCATION is the key but man do we lack that nation wide.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AT Hiker View Post
    When Teddy visited Yellowstone his intentions were to hunt and take back some taxidermy samples, after he caught heck over it he decided against it (at least it was not documented to my knowledge). He did skin a few rodents for the taking though!

IMO a proper wildlife management plan could be instated for places like Yellowstone, all it would take is proper ethical legislation and the backing of major wildlife groups. If we can re-introduce a extinct animal then we can save the ones already there, EDUCATION is the key but man do we lack that nation wide.
    Well said AT hiker! Unfortunately our government isn't that smart!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Great opportunity to create some more auction tags.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mnhoundman View Post
    Well said AT hiker! Unfortunately our government isn't that smart!!
    No joke!

But it is OK to catch and kill every lake trout in Yellowstone (because they are invasive species) but we cannot soundly manage our other critters? Our countries leadership has over dosed on stupid pills for sure!