Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Black Hills, Wy
    Posts
    187
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 4 Times in 1 Post
    They capture the bison that migrate onto private land with cattle. Bison carry a brucellosis disease that if the livestock catch, they will abort all their calves. They have been doing this for some time now. Some years its a lot and others its a few bison. Once again its all stemming from landowners pressuring that something be done. Its a pretty simple system if you haven't seen it done before. I assume that's why they won't offer more tags (which would be nice).

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Blue Springs, MO
    Posts
    1,026
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 160 Times in 122 Posts
    Congratulations
    3
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdhunter View Post
    Bison carry a brucellosis disease that if the livestock catch, they will abort all their calves. They have been doing this for some time now.
    Yet, there's never been a documented case of domestic cattle transmitting brucellosis from a wild bison...
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,089
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 119 Times in 104 Posts
    Congratulations
    18
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    amen fink, amen.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    colfax, wa
    Posts
    5,222
    Thanks
    1,281
    Thanked 667 Times in 572 Posts
    Congratulations
    199
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    Brucellosis is a big concern in beef cattle. If I was running cattle around there I wouldnt want Buffalo that could have it mixing in with my cows either.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    591
    Thanks
    160
    Thanked 90 Times in 85 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 20 Times in 5 Posts
    Why the hell haven't they been maintaining the population already? Just like the wolves, wait till it's to late. So they couldn't let a certain amount of people in to hunt a few in the fall?

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Posts
    181
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 64 Times in 35 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 19 Times in 1 Post
    They have been culling the bison herd every year in yellowstone for many years. This isnt a new thing, just getting more recognition for some reason this time. . It is illegal to hunt inside Yellowstone, and they arent about to try to activate a new legislation to allow people to be part of the cull process when they dont need to. Other national parks, such as Teddy Roosevelt in the dakotas and even Grand Teton just north of Jackson have "reduction programs" in place. I dont believe you will ever see that occur in Yellowstone. The antis would go ballistic...

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    357
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked 66 Times in 60 Posts
    Congratulations
    52
    Congratulated 27 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mntnguide View Post
    They have been culling the bison herd every year in yellowstone for many years. This isnt a new thing, just getting more recognition for some reason this time. . It is illegal to hunt inside Yellowstone, and they arent about to try to activate a new legislation to allow people to be part of the cull process when they dont need to. Other national parks, such as Teddy Roosevelt in the dakotas and even Grand Teton just north of Jackson have "reduction programs" in place. I dont believe you will ever see that occur in Yellowstone. The antis would go ballistic...
    When Teddy visited Yellowstone his intentions were to hunt and take back some taxidermy samples, after he caught heck over it he decided against it (at least it was not documented to my knowledge). He did skin a few rodents for the taking though!

    IMO a proper wildlife management plan could be instated for places like Yellowstone, all it would take is proper ethical legislation and the backing of major wildlife groups. If we can re-introduce a extinct animal then we can save the ones already there, EDUCATION is the key but man do we lack that nation wide.

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    591
    Thanks
    160
    Thanked 90 Times in 85 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 20 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AT Hiker View Post
    When Teddy visited Yellowstone his intentions were to hunt and take back some taxidermy samples, after he caught heck over it he decided against it (at least it was not documented to my knowledge). He did skin a few rodents for the taking though!

    IMO a proper wildlife management plan could be instated for places like Yellowstone, all it would take is proper ethical legislation and the backing of major wildlife groups. If we can re-introduce a extinct animal then we can save the ones already there, EDUCATION is the key but man do we lack that nation wide.
    Well said AT hiker! Unfortunately our government isn't that smart!!

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kingwood, TX
    Posts
    1,742
    Thanks
    80
    Thanked 233 Times in 176 Posts
    Congratulations
    45
    Congratulated 30 Times in 3 Posts
    Great opportunity to create some more auction tags.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    357
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked 66 Times in 60 Posts
    Congratulations
    52
    Congratulated 27 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mnhoundman View Post
    Well said AT hiker! Unfortunately our government isn't that smart!!
    No joke!

    But it is OK to catch and kill every lake trout in Yellowstone (because they are invasive species) but we cannot soundly manage our other critters? Our countries leadership has over dosed on stupid pills for sure!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. bison return??
    By ivorytip in forum Other
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-02-2014, 10:26 PM
  2. Wyoming Bison
    By gon4elk in forum Wyoming
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-27-2014, 03:29 PM
  3. Yellowstone Wolves
    By Ikeepitcold in forum Predator
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-10-2013, 09:11 PM
  4. Yellowstone Wolf
    By Spud in forum Back at the Tailgate
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-09-2012, 06:31 PM
  5. What's the deal with Bison?
    By CrimsonArrow in forum Montana
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-17-2012, 06:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •