Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bighorn sheep ? Am I wasting my time put in in for points.

I'm sitting on 2 points already and just looked at the Wyoming game and fish points totals sheet and if what I'm thinking is right by there sheet on nonresident points is it would take me 134 year to pull this tag. could any one out there tell me if I'm thinking right. Or tell me if I'm not wasting my money buying these points. It may take 16 points now but what will it be 10 years from now. Just don't want to push money toward something that will never happen. Just turned 33 year of age would hope to pull the tag before I'm 50.
    Last edited by Yot 1; 02-13-2014 at 02:41 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 48 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yot 1 View Post
    I'm sitting on 2 points already and just looked at the Wyoming game and fish points totals sheet and if what I'm thinking is right by there sheet on nonresident points is it would take me 134 year to pull this tag. could any one out there tell me if I'm thinking right. Or tell me if I'm not wasting my money buying these points. It may take 16 points now but what will it be 10 years from now. Just don't want to push money toward something that will never happen.
    I've drawn 3 sheep tags and my immediate family has drawn 3 more. I wouldn't buy points where you are at. Save your money and go Dall Sheep hunting someday. I'm at 9 points for moose in Wyoming (drew in 1999) and I am thinking of bailing out.

If you would, start a new thread and introduce yourself, if would be cool to get to know you.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts
    It's just luck of the draw, my cousin is a resident and has been applying for close to twenty years and has not drawn yet. Then there are people who draw a tag a couple years into it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    New to this so don't know how yet

Thanks
    Congratulations
    They always talk about point creep and I've been only buying points. So I don't know if I'll ever get to max points to be able to get the best chance to draw the tag so thinking that bailing is better then wasting money on points that may never get me to max points. Can any one tell me if I'm right on this or should I just keep going with the points.
    Last edited by Yot 1; 02-13-2014 at 03:08 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    They always talk about point creep and I've been only buying points. So I don't know if I'll ever get to max points to be able to get the best chance to draw the tag so thinking that bailing is better then wasting money on points that may never get me to max points. Can any one tell me if I'm right on this or should I just keep going with the points.
    At 33 years old you will almost certainly never catch the max point pool. You also never know if they will modify to a bonus point system…or drop the system all together. If I was at the bottom of the point pool, I would not buy points only. I might apply for a tag, and earn the point each year, though even that is a marginal investment of your hunting dollars if you really want to sheep hunt.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yes, you are wasting money. Do the math. I bailed and dumped 8 points several years ago when they began charging $100/year nonrefundable. It will only get worse as time passes and they devalue points with "rule changes".

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That is what I was thinking I just needed someone to tell me that. Thanks Umpqua Hunter you have been a very good help. I would love to shoot a sheep some day but there has got to be a better way. Plus was at my first mountain lion tree this year with a friend in Wyoming so need to figure out where my money will be best spent for the future of my hunting. May be more leaning to doing that for years to come then a once and a life time hunt. Hounding is getting in my blood. chase yot in MN with dogs now.
    Last edited by Yot 1; 02-13-2014 at 03:48 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That is what I was thinking I just needed someone to tell me that. Thanks Umpqua Hunter you have been a very good help.
    You bet. For what it's worth I have a friend in his 50s with 11 points and I'm telling him he's wasting his money buying points for sheep. Of course he is older than you, but he won't catch the max pool before he's too old to sheep hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Check the Colorado Sheep & Goat regs. There are no points needed and there is one Desert Sheep tag set aside for NRs. You will have to pony up $1334.00 to apply. Colorado is different in their approach to points for Desert and Rocky Mt. Bighorns.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post: