Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just Boots

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buckbull View Post
    ....and Hanwag.

As long as they are all similar in price and function. Recently, field and stream did a boot review and some boot MSRP's were over $400 while others were in the $200 range; and of course the $200 had the lowest rating and the results were worse than worthless. The $200 boot may be the best $200 boot made, but received bad press because its compared to boots that cost twice as much.
    I have only been here a short while, but I can say this much, we do our best to be fair with every piece of gear that comes through!

Apples to Apples is what we strive for!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Gotta get something from Zamberlan and Danner in there too. Hopefully the comparison is between boots with similar features and price ranges.

Comparing boots is going to be a real challenge though since fit is such a huge factor, and really individually dependant.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    and Meindl. Even though they are priced a bit lower, I frequently see them compared to the boots listed here.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
    I have only been here a short while, but I can say this much, we do our best to be fair with every piece of gear that comes through!

Apples to Apples is what we strive for!
    The only way to do a true comparison. Thre are so many reviews that don't comparing apples to apples. I think the ask the boot makers to send them boots for a review and they do the review on whatever they are sent vs asking for certain boots the are similar in price and function.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdy View Post
    and Meindl. Even though they are priced a bit lower, I frequently see them compared to the boots listed here.
    I think they would be in the Danner price point and would be a good comparison.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have had a real hard time finding a boot that fits well and I really have no boot to suggest as I have been through quite a few just trying to get the right boot for me. So instead of buying a new pair every year I have started going to REI every year and trying all their boots on and making notes on the brand, model, fit and weight and bells and whistles. Then I pick two or three and wait for the used sale that they have every couple times a year and pick up only the two or three I put at the top of the list. I know used sounds bad but honestly the boots I have found are basically new due to REI's refund policy at literally 70 to 80% off retail. And here in Oregon I have had no problem finding the boots I am after, at least so far. But at the same time I am still looking for the right back country boot for me. The other con is that I am hoping to find one that works from them otherwise I will be buying new once I have got through all they have.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have really enjoyed my
    Lowa Tibet gtx boots. I put them through the paces in the high country last season and they held up great and better yet my feet felt super after each day. Last season was the first te I'm years I didn't worry about my feet.
    Last edited by 25contender; 02-14-2014 at 03:41 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    As far as boot reviews go, maybe you can set 3 or 4 different pricing brackets and pick 4 or 5 well respected boots for each pricing bracket. At least that way you are comparing apples to apples in pricing.
    Also, make sure you are reviewing boots with the same intended purpose within a given price bracket, if that makes sense.

Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    M.....21 I wear Asolo TPS 520 GV and I have loved them. I have been trying out boots for the last several months and I liked the Lowa Ticam GTX. I believe both are solid boots and as has been mentioned, I would pick off of the fit.

ScottR, I like the boot review, I think the boot height could be an issue, for me it changes the way the boot feels.
    All Work And No Play Is No Good At All