Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35
  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Umpqua River, Oregon
    Posts
    2,245
    Thanks
    348
    Thanked 467 Times in 288 Posts
    Congratulations
    11
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    A 16 year wait is VERY optimistic as a non resident. I'm at 9 points and on the fence if I will ever catch it with points in the next 20 years before I am 70 years old. Without attrition it will take around 40 years, a fun hunt to celebrate 90 years old.

    There is always the chance of a random tag but make sure the investment is worth it.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 02-26-2014 at 01:26 PM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    107
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    arwaterfowler, how old are you?? You've got about 16 years to wait, either that or you get extremely lucky and get a tag in the Random drawing. Are you willing to invest that kind of money in points?
    I'm 33, so I still have plenty of years left.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Umpqua River, Oregon
    Posts
    2,245
    Thanks
    348
    Thanked 467 Times in 288 Posts
    Congratulations
    11
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arwaterfowler View Post
    I'm 33, so I still have plenty of years left.
    You will almost certainly never draw a bull moose tag in Wyoming on points. It almost pains me to see guys just starting out putting money into something that will almost certainly never pay off.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:


  5. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    107
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    You will almost certainly never draw a bull moose tag in Wyoming on points. It almost pains me to see guys just starting out putting money into something that will almost certainly never pay off.
    Thats what I was worried about.

  6. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Umpqua River, Oregon
    Posts
    2,245
    Thanks
    348
    Thanked 467 Times in 288 Posts
    Congratulations
    11
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arwaterfowler View Post
    Thats what I was worried about.
    There is a huge "wall" of applicants at 12 to 14 points that has hardly even begun to be eaten away at. Beyond that is just gets worse. Here's a link to the preference point report:

    http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/Departme..._130004710.pdf

    You have around 5,945 non resident applicants ahead of you drawing about 70 moose tags each year (random and preference tags). That's 85 years worth of applicants ahead of you (assuming no changes).
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 02-26-2014 at 03:59 PM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

  7. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Colorado Mountains
    Posts
    537
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 73 Times in 62 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    You have around 5,945 non resident applicants ahead of you drawing about 70 moose tags each year (random and preference tags). That's 85 years worth of applicants ahead of you (assuming no changes).
    Pretty much sums it all up right there! UH is on it again...

  8. #27
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Northern Wisconsin
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arwaterfowler View Post
    I just got in the game for moose in Wyoming. I only have 2 points. I'd like folks advice, would you continue buying points or not?
    Just a little into the game and the odds aren't with you. My suggestion if you want a moose, Canada. Do your homework and check outfitters prices, references and quality. Recently saw one advertised in Alberta for $5500. Can you leave on short notice? Get on their cancellation list or if it's late, they may have openings at a discount. If your serious it never hurts to ask for a price break, just don't low ball them and then expect 5 star service. Only state where I have point's left is WY. If I don't draw there's always something available in Canada. 5 years ago, 10 day moose hunt in north central BC on late notice, 3k and the outfitter busted his tail for me! Good Luck!

  9. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    107
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundowners@5? View Post
    Just a little into the game and the odds aren't with you. My suggestion if you want a moose, Canada. Do your homework and check outfitters prices, references and quality. Recently saw one advertised in Alberta for $5500. Can you leave on short notice? Get on their cancellation list or if it's late, they may have openings at a discount. If your serious it never hurts to ask for a price break, just don't low ball them and then expect 5 star service. Only state where I have point's left is WY. If I don't draw there's always something available in Canada. 5 years ago, 10 day moose hunt in north central BC on late notice, 3k and the outfitter busted his tail for me! Good Luck!
    Are there any good websites that advertise last minute/discounted hunts? Ones that a guy can trust anyway..

  10. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Eastern Nebraska
    Posts
    672
    Thanks
    428
    Thanked 213 Times in 155 Posts
    Congratulations
    35
    Congratulated 8 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arwaterfowler View Post
    I just got in the game for moose in Wyoming. I only have 2 points. I'd like folks advice, would you continue buying points or not?
    I would use your points on a cow moose in Wyoming. Work a part time job and save a little money here and there to go to Canada to go shoot your bull. Will likely cost you close to the same in the end. 20 years of preference points...? I wouldn't wait that long.

  11. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    nebraska
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Moose app in. No points random draw probably wont draw but I like my chances if I keep applying

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-07-2014, 02:34 PM
  2. Wyoming Moose
    By kiddwinner in forum Sheep, Moose and Goat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-27-2014, 11:25 AM
  3. Wyoming Moose
    By ssliger in forum Wildlife and Landscapes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-08-2013, 11:01 PM
  4. My Wyoming Moose!
    By wyohunter1 in forum Sheep, Moose and Goat
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-26-2012, 07:31 AM
  5. Wyoming Moose Rut
    By wyohunter1 in forum Sheep, Moose and Goat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-19-2012, 07:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •