Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

plan for wyoming moose

Reading some posts here about the prefer points needed to draw a wyo moose tag makes me wonder if the random draw would be a better chance to draw. Some of the odds are not good but I like my chances better than spending a metic Ass ton of money on nonres points. The area I am thinking of takes 12 points to draw. I have seen some really good bulls in there while elk hunting. The random draw odds aren't bad from my point of view. Has anyone here used this strategy?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nebugle View Post
    Reading some posts here about the prefer points needed to draw a wyo moose tag makes me wonder if the random draw would be a better chance to draw. Some of the odds are not good but I like my chances better than spending a metic Ass ton of money on nonres points. The area I am thinking of takes 12 points to draw. I have seen some really good bulls in there while elk hunting. The random draw odds aren't bad from my point of view. Has anyone here used this strategy?
    The problem being you still have to pay the $75 preference point fee when applying for moose. If I recall correctly that is not optional for moose.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    yes you have to pay to play. Besides some lucky hunter has to draw the random tag. If you were planning on hiring a outfitter you might as well go to Newfoundland as its cheaper.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You don't just have to pay the $75 for the point. If you apply, you have to pay the full price of the tag. You will get all your money back except the $75 point fee.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 2 Posts
    Wow, Wyoming really sticks it to non residents! guess the wolf wasn't such a good idea when it comes to revenue!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You can go to Canada or Newfoundland but you still wouldn't get a moose from Wyoming. Maybe that's not important to you but it is for me. If you have the cash, I'd throw it down and hope for a random tag like you're talking about doing.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    All you have to do is pony up for the price of the tag and the ap fee .you will get back the permit fee minus the app fee if unsuccesful. If I keep this up I should eventually draw. I like my chances. And if I don't draw oh well 12x75 is 900 bucks. I think the prefer fee is getting out of hand. It would be different if 4 or 5 would get it done but 20 is b.s. makes you wonder if we would be better off with a strictly random draw. Depending on your age you wont have enough lead left in your pencil to do it more than once in a lifetime anyway. Start buying points for your kids when they turn 12? What if who game and fish wipes the slate clean like they have for elk points? Where does your point money go then? Some areas take 20 years to draw plus 5 years before you can apply again what would be lost by once in a lifetime tags and a purely random draw??

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm right there with you on your thinking that I need to be forking over the cash each year instead of only buying the point. The only problem with your thinking is the unit you want to draw takes 12 points. The same unit took 11 points last year and it will take 13 next year. By the time you draw on points its gonna take over 20 points to draw and me too. It is what it is but just be aware before you get in thinking you only need 12 points to draw.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    hopefully hammering the predators and a few good years of that will help increase Moose numbers... and help reduce # of bonus pts required or at least slow point creep...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    It looks like to me if you are starting out just now, it is going to take 25+ years to draw even the mediocre units. Point creep from a combination of more applicants, cutting tag numbers because of wolf predation, and population fluctuations from tick and parasite loss seem to make the chances of drawing a preference tag slim at best. With that said if you really want a shiras moose: my advice is apply.

Here's an interesting article about the decline of moose populations in WY and MT.

http://billingsgazette.com/lifestyle...97fd4dc5f.html