Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkoholic307 View Post
    I don't get it. G&F is broke but they're trying to lower the NR tag allotment? What's their angle?
    From my understanding it is a handful of residents and that Hicks dude trying to push this. I really dont think G&F has much to do with this thought process, I could be wrong though.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Oh okay, that would make more sense.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkoholic307 View Post
    I don't get it. G&F is broke but they're trying to lower the NR tag allotment? What's their angle?
    It seems to me that it has less to do with being broke, and more to do with trying to pass what more of your constituents want. Wyoming has some of the more liberal NR tag allotments in the Western states.. As a non resident, it's great for me, but I'd be seriously pissed if as a resident, NR's had better odds of drawing a sheep or moose tag than I did.

To me, it seems fair to reduce the NR allotment of sheep, goat and moose tags, but continue with the existing amount of deer, elk and antelope tags available for NR's. Of course, it's not fair to fleece the dudes that have been buying $100 points for the last 15 years either.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    NR are funding the WY Game dept. plain and simple. Portland has more people than that whole state.
    WY can't pass a measly 10% fee increase and Hicks is trying to cut off the major funding mechanism. If you guys think SFW isn't loving these funding issues so they can show a Utah solution you have your head in the sand.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
    NR are funding the WY Game dept. plain and simple. Portland has more people than that whole state.
    WY can't pass a measly 10% fee increase and Hicks is trying to cut off the major funding mechanism. If you guys think SFW isn't loving these funding issues so they can show a Utah solution you have your head in the sand.
    Absolutely agree. SFW to the rescue!!! We'll solve your budget issues. Give us all your tags, we'll sell them to the highest bidder, and keep a huge chunk of the proceeds!
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    307---G&F has nothing to do with this! This is strictly a few residents that got with their Legislators to put in this Bill for a NR cap of 10% and another to make a PP system for residents. If that Bill ever passed to limit all the tags to a 10% NR cap, there had better be a guaranteed alternative funding method in place or the residents better be ready to pay at least what the NRs are for their tags because we're probably talking about at least a 10 million dollar deficit it would cause when NR fees pay 80% of the G&F budget. A cut to 10% would be over 50% of what the cap is now. Many Wyoming residents obviously don't know how good they have it when they can buy 10 or 12 tags for different animals at less cost than one NR tag we pay for! I'm sure SFW is chomping at the bit to get at Wyoming and a reliable Wyoming source has told me that a certain SFW higher up is the one who was the main person behind getting this 10% cap Bill introduced in the first place!
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 02-15-2014 at 01:51 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Honestly part of me wonders why we set aside any tags for res vs. non-res, vs just having 1 draw, non-res already pay 10X or more than residents. Part of me says just let the luck of the draw determine who gets the tag, esp when we're already paying 10x or more.

If there are 1 million WY residents who apply for tags, and 100k non-res, naturally then non-res would on average get about 10% of the tags, so it would be interesting to see how many res hunt/apply for tags and how many non-res.

on a side note, if $$ is the only important thing to WY, then why not make everyone pay non-res prices and see what happens? I'm being a bit facetious obviously but if that were the case, way more non-residents would get tags, revenue would be through the roof as well.

If residents were required to pay non-res prices, I wonder if even 10% of residents would apply from the year previous?

not trying to start any arguments here, in general though I would say residents certainly could pay a bit more than they do in most states and non-res could use a bit of a discount. But I guess until then all one can do is play in the system we have and deal with it, as I do.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 33 Times in 2 Posts
    HuskyMusky, We have tags allotted for residents and non residents so the people that live in a state get most of the tags as they should. I see nothing wrong with 80/20, as I stated 90/10 is ridiculous. If you want the same shot as a guy that lives in Wyoming or Colorado then move to Wyoming or Colorado. I go back and hunt Iowa when I can draw a tag, I don't expect to have the same access to good deer tags as Iowa residents. As a resident and non resident hunter I disagree with you 100%. The reason residents don't have to pay as much is because guys and their KIDS that don't have the coin to pay non resident tag fees can still hunt in their home state.
    Last edited by In God We Trust; 02-15-2014 at 07:48 PM.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 9 Posts
    Im all for giving residents more tags then nonresidents but if some of these state wildlife agencies having budget problems would give nonresidents a few more tags it would help their situation alot.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Im all for giving residents more tags then nonresidents but if some of these state wildlife agencies having budget problems would give nonresidents a few more tags it would help their situation alot.
    ***Giving more tags to alleviate a budget problem is not the way a game agency should do business and that is why Wyoming is now in deep dodo because they relied way too much on NR tags to fund the agency over a long period of time. Now with tag cuts made the last few years because of declining deer herds everywhere, as well as antelope in some areas due to the drought, they are in a budget deficit without making some severe cuts.