Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

7 preference points for WY antelope

Just a newbie to the forum but have been studying the MRS and thought I'd ask on this forum.

I have 7 preference points for NR in WY for antelope. Any unit suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated.

Looking for a unit with good access and chance at nice (70-80") buck.

Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I like reading these antelope threads. I just have 2 points and I'm going to burn them this year. But I like hearing everybodies different opinions on the subject. I would start over and interduce your self a little bit and you will get a lot of help from these guys. I look forward to seeing some picks. Good luck

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have 6 points, but if I had 7 I would apply in one of the Red Desert Units, 57, 58, 60, 61. The only thing I don't know is how the winter has been, and whether there has been a winter kill. Normally these are good units for a big buck, with plenty of public land.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    I have 6 points, but if I had 7 I would apply in one of the Red Desert Units, 57, 58, 60, 61. The only thing I don't know is how the winter has been, and whether there has been a winter kill. Normally these are good units for a big buck, with plenty of public land.
    Thanks Tomcat. I've heard from folks near Alcova and Muddy Gap that winter has been cold, snowy, and windy. All summer folks talked about how dry it was further south in those units. 60 and 61 are on my list just haven't talked to anyone that has hunted those units.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 1 Post
    If all you want is a "70-80s" buck then you just need to get out and hunt! Any blue chip and many greens will easily get you in the mid-70s range without too much effort. To get something in the 80s you'll need to put in more time and maybe get alittle lucky. Get on the G&F's website and see which of the blues and greens you can pull with 7 points (which will be just about all of them), pick one, and then get out and hunt. No sense continuing to build points. Shoot, if you just like having a pile of points, put in for 60 or 61 and then an easy to draw 2nd choice. You'll keep your points if you draw the 2nd choice tag, and can probably still kill a 70s buck to boot.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    If I had 7 points I would try to draw a second choice unit this year to hunt and plan on time to scout in the unit of my choice for next year. You would gain a lot of knowledge and experience from this year and be set up for an 80" or better next year. Just my 2 cents. 7 points aren't that easy to accumulate so make the most of them.
    NRA Life Member
    Colorado Bowhunters Life Member
    Nebraska Bowhunters Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MWScott72 View Post
    If all you want is a "70-80s" buck then you just need to get out and hunt! Any blue chip and many greens will easily get you in the mid-70s range without too much effort. To get something in the 80s you'll need to put in more time and maybe get alittle lucky. Get on the G&F's website and see which of the blues and greens you can pull with 7 points (which will be just about all of them), pick one, and then get out and hunt. No sense continuing to build points. Shoot, if you just like having a pile of points, put in for 60 or 61 and then an easy to draw 2nd choice. You'll keep your points if you draw the 2nd choice tag, and can probably still kill a 70s buck to boot.
    I agree completely

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks Ricochet. I should've burned my points too but just haven't had the time until this year. I have hunted in WY units 18 and 72 for doe antelope over the last couple of years mainly doing a little scouting. Saw a few nice bucks in 18 but 72 wasn't that good IMO. Looking at units 60 or 61 but really haven't spent much time down in that area of WY. Lots of good info on the site and have enjoyed reading the antelope threads also.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I would certainly not go on a hunt with 7PPs looking for a buck that's only in the low 70s. Every unit in the state that has antelope has that potential with no problem. To be one PP from max I'd be looking at an 80"+ buck and spending a good week or more finding and shooting him or there is no point in building that many PPs. I don't have any PPs, but if you want to put me in as a party with you for an average of 3.5 PPs I'll provide a newish 19' trailer for one person along with myself and take you where you'll kill an upper 70s buck or better if you have a week to spend with me out there. That is a serious statement and the guy from Idaho that took me up on it two years ago with his 5 PPs took a 78" buck the second morning because he only had 3 days to hunt. My buddy took one a little smaller opening day and mine was right at 80" taken on the 4th morning and all were on public land with no other hunters in the area! The season in the unit we would hunt is the entire month of October and I would go out and scout early and the hunt would be the first week of October if you wanted to do it. We could then do the hunt together or I could show you where to hunt on your own if that is your desire. A 3.5 average is not a shoein for the tag, but would be in the running for a tag in the regular draw. PS: I've hunted out there where I'm talking about almost every year since 1994 for deer, elk, or antelope and know it like the back of my hand..
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 02-15-2014 at 01:37 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If I had 7pts I would strongly be looking for an 80"+ antelope... ie. one of the better/best WY units.

They are very tough to judge IMO though.

You can shoot a 75-80" goat with 2 or 3pts in WY IMO.