Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

2 man backpack hunt essentials?

Curious to know what's required for this situation...?

Let's assume 2 men.

If a game animal is required let's say Mountain Goat hunt in the lower 48.

I don't need specific pack names or tent names, but size, volume, etc...

also any formula for amount of food for 7 days, 10 days, 14 ?

Just trying to get an idea for what's need/what I don't have, etc...

thanks in advance!

would to prefer to hear from guys who have actually done a backpack hunt....

also how heavy are packs going in? also coming out with a game animal? is it possible to pack out camp and your game animal in 1 trip? assuming mtn goat... animal...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    There are some older threads on here with answers to many of your questions. David Longs book The bottom line covers this subject very well too. Biggest problem I had at first was over packing. It takes a couple trips to figureout what you need and dont need.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Biggest problem I had at first was over packing. It takes a couple trips to figure out what you need and dont need.
    Agree for sure. It's easy to take way too much! Found that out myself. One thing I do make certain to take plenty of is some TP and scent free bottom wipes. They sure help keep a guy from getting stinky and are so nice to have, not just for the obvious, but for helping clean up after dressing an animal, and just keeping your face and hands clean in general.
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 8 Posts
    I will get a reply or two for this from the office tomorrow.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would say 1 tent, stove, and water filter can all be shared but other than that bacicaly the same things as a solo hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Review stuff online & old threads. Then go for at least one trial run for two nights fishing or something. You will quickly realize what you need.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    I've split the weight between guys and even out the load. One tent, one jetboil, mt house for each, one water filter and so on. One piece of equipment both can use. Water is the heaviest so if you can find a spring and filter the water or tabs whatever you prefer will cut the weight down a lot. Then when your packing out you won't have so much weight in gear. I've also stashed extra Mt House, tent, extra fuel in an area that I hunt offten and use it on the next hunt. Then I won't have to pack so much in.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    I did a solo backpack sheep hunt in 2005 where I packed in about a mile to set up camp and then hunted different directions until I finally bagged my sheep. Camping near a water source is a must (using a water filter) and if I had been smart I would have stashed a food/fuel supply like Ikeepitcold did during my scouting trips. I ended up taking my sheep about 3 miles from my vehicle which I packed out in one trip (it was a heavy 100 pound pack at 12,000 feet, having to go up and over a ridge then down to the vehicle - the toughest pack job I have ever done!). It was a 2-day affair to get the animal out plus get my camp out. Freeze-dried food is the way to go, along with light weight clothing and light weight camping gear. I probably had a 60+ pound pack of initial gear, which I had planned for at least 5 days. In the end I hunted for 3 days and then took 2 days to pack out. Once I packed everything out the biggest thing I craved was gatorade and crackers (which I had a good supply of in my truck) to replenish my fluids and carbs for the drive back home. I had more food and supplies in my truck as my backup, since I was only about a mile away, but I never needed to go back for more supplies during my hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    As far as packing it all out in 1 trip it depends on how strong you are, how much of the animal you are packing out, etc. But yet, it is possible to do one trip.

Make sure both people bring their own food separately. One guy is always hungrier than the other and if you keep the food together someone is going to eat 65% and someone gets the 35% left.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 1 Post
    This is an interesting thread. For someone that's not done this, such as myself, I'd like to see it revived. Any other tips out there?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker