Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

111-115 versus 221,222

I'm specifically looking at the late season hunts for these tags. The 2012 NR stats from NDOW show that:

111 - 115 Late had 7 tags and 129 applicants so 19 to 1 draw odds and 100% success rate.

221, 222 Late had 6 tags and only 35 applicants so 6 to 1 draw odds but with a 50% success rate.

I have zero points but have read countless stories about big Nevada bulls. So, I figured I better throw my name in the hat this year and these are the units that look appealing to me. I've never been to the area so I can only look at it from my computer screen and on the pages of several different magazines. 111 - 115 looks to be the more desirable tag but is there really that big of a difference between that one and 221, 222? I checked some maps and they all look fairly close together. Is the elk population in 221 and 222 less or is the terrain just that much nastier? If someone could clue me in on the differences between these two tags I'd much appreciate it. Thanks!
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Good luck.. my FIL drew that 111-115 tag last yr after a long wait. Last year there were those 2 snow storms that had the roads blocked off for several days at the first and end of the season. Plus, IIRC, 2 hunters got hurt on consecutive days at the start of season so take away 2/6. After that it doesn't take much to get it down to 50%.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Both great areas for bulls. Populations have never been better. Well see how the forecast decides horn growth but its not looking too good. The late season hunts see alot of movement and early migration in both units dependent on weather. Ive hunted 111-115 3+ times for elk. It can get a bit rough at times trying to pattern bulls in the late season. I would definitely apply for both. And be ready to be nomadic if you draw the tag.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Those odds only tell you the amount of people who either made that their first choice or drew the tag. I assure you the odds are much longer than they appear

But it only takes one so good luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by nitis View Post
    Those odds only tell you the amount of people who either made that their first choice or drew the tag. I assure you the odds are much longer than they appear

But it only takes one so good luck!
    Why are these odds not correct, or how does one calculate the actual odds?

QQ

Thanks
    Congratulations
    As far as I can figure and I am not a mathematician however I'm pretty good with numbers there is no possible way to calculate actual draw odds other than first choice draw odds

All applicants can choose up to five choices for any given species but not everyone chooses all five choices

And since it sounds like you are unfamiliar with the process simplest way to explain it is they draw all the applicants and place them in order when they get to your name they go through your choices until there is a tag available or you run out of choices

There is no documentation of choices 2-5 to use to make odds for individual hunts

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    You never know what will happen with the Nevada draw system. All you can do is apply every year and hope your number comes up eventually!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    http://www.ndow.org/Hunt/Regulations.../Bonus_points/

Hopefully this will help a few peeps.

From what I've gathered, for the most part it doesn't make a whole lot of difference which unit you draw, they all have the potential for a giant. With the 10 year wait period though after you draw a tag, it dang near makes it a once in a lifetime tag.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    I thought the 2 hunts your asking about were combined lastyear? I think any hunt can produce a big bull, but its big country and the elk are scattered in it and it could take some time to locate them if you dont know the area. Ely can be some cold country that time of year too, but I guess it wouldnt be any colder then WY.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 5 Posts
    IMO either are good for trophy bulls but I prefer 111-115 over the southern units. With all the snow they got this year not many bulls where killed. Next year should be real good. In either unit 350" bulls should be on the average list. There is always the monsters in the 380-400" in both units. From what I've heard from guys hunting 2013 is that the southern units where hit harder with snow.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.