Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Colorado Unit 75/751 archery Mule Deer

I put in for these units this year for archery season (late august-early sept) for mule deer and was wandering if anyone had any suggestions of where to look for deer and if this area holds any quality deer. Since I live in TN I obviously wont be able to scout it out ahead of time and I have spent my fare share of time on google earth. Looks like Weminuche could be promising, but I just dont know not having laid eyes on it. I plan on hiking in deep and staying for 8 days. Also, wanted to hear from any CO residents near the Durango area and see how the winter was. I know they had a really bad winter back in 07ish and just curious how this past winter was. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 1 Post
    The back country is rugged and no one worth their salt will give up any spots in that country simply because it is a tough hunt... Not because of few animals but moreso the size of the country and effort it takes to get in...

The part where you said go deep for 8 days... That's the biggest part of the equation that you already answered yourself. The other part will be to focus on willow basins above 12,000 ft. and don't forget to pay close attention to the rocky cliffs that look like only sheep would be there... Big bucks will bed where you least expect them and sometimes by them selves...

Make certain you are ready for this type of hunt because it will take all of your determination for the 8 whole days, you will get wet and cold and if you hunt smart, you will see a couple of gagger Muleys... Check your equipment and check it again, then once you're sure, check it again, make sure you get the best equipment you can afford. You will put on a minimum 5 miles just to get into good country and hunt from there to wherever you end up. I hope this helps and good luck. As always this is only my opinion... Happy hunting!
    Last edited by Graylight; 05-17-2011 at 04:16 PM.
    "This is A Way of Life"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    5 miles. Don't think he will even break treeline. Either way, good luck, good country, don't give up. Always remember, there is one more baisn to check, you can strech that last days worth of food into 1.5 or 2 days. Hunt hard, you have the rest of the year to heal. Make sure to take care of your feet!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If he's gonna hunt 75, there's access to plenty of the high basins within 5 miles... Just my opinion...
    "This is A Way of Life"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks Graylight. I hunted in the flat tops WA last year for 8 days off my back so I kind of know what I am getting into from a conditioning and gear standpoint. (by the way, we only came across a couple of bucks. it was tough hunting). I have checked out the area close to durango res in 751 on google earth between 12-13,000ft and it looks promising, but you never know until you are on the ground. Thanks for the tip on focusing on willow basins. Any other tips on feeding, movement and bedding habits of these high country deer is much appreciated. Thanks again. For a TN boy this type of hunt is what I work towards all year long. Just hoping all this preparation will pay off with a big set of velvet antlers on my back. Also, I am sure that there is only a handful of trips like this that my wife will tolerate me coming home empty handed before she starts to question why I go

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Willow basins are just the start... Once you find a good basin, the deer will usually bed high in the rock outcrops/cliff bands or in the krumholz: stunted pines at the highest point of vegetation. Once bedded, will be tough to find but if you are patient, you will start to pick them out. The wind swirls a lot up there, so I doubt that you will be left with few stalks. More likely, you will be frustrated to get to 30 yards on multiple bucks and then blow them out because of a thermal switch... Day after day after day... I have been able to hunt the same group of bucks several times for week long stints and blow them out three, four and even five times! They usually come back to the same spot or move only a short distance and re-bed... One thing to remember is that your best chances are during the opener to about the first 10 days of September... After that a lot of the big bucks will shed velvet and go into the timber... Your hunt will get a lot tougher then, so try to be where you intend to hunt on the opener and get it done quick... This is only my opinion on my experiences and hope it helps.

As for your wife... Only being in that country doing what we do can show someone why were there, successful or not... If she has an appreciation for the outdoors, she'll get it right away!

Good luck!
    "This is A Way of Life"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Boy i hope your buddy is in better shape than he was in Last Year! LOL

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good to see you found us mbhe. welcome!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    How did you guys do? I am looking at applying for unit 75 muzzleloader in 2012. I too would like some information if anyone is willing to share. Thanks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    love it! thanks Graylight. I plan on being there aug 26th - sept 4 so i should be ok in that regard. as for the wife, i need to get her out there with me. Just curious what you have lined up this fall? Thanks again for your help.