Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    The Diascope weight was without eyepiece. 39 ounces for the body is accurate.
    I think that explains the variations in weight I have seen and makes alot of sense! Thanks BB!

Zeiss site says "weight in use 39oz". That leads one that doesnt know any better to believe that that weight is complete with eyepiece how you would be using it.
    Last edited by Musket Man; 02-17-2014 at 03:24 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I have owned a 65mm Dialyt for two years. I'm no expert on optics or spotters, but I have used a few over the years. I have been very happy with this spotter. What I like best are the quality of optics, the rubber armouring which helps make it very tough, and its streamlined design. Its streamlined design allows it to pack easily. It is a little heavy, but the advantage in optically quality is worth the weight. I have noticed the short eye relief, so I always use it with the rubber eyecup rolled down. It works fine for me that way. I am not totally thrilled about the focusing adjustment located on the objective. Seems like you impart some shaking or wobble onto the spotter whenever you make fine focusing adjustments, but it's not a deal breaker. I would replace it with another Dialyt if something happened to this one. One other good thing about it are the large and snug fitting rubber lens covers that come with it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jims For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the review jims! What other spotters and binos have you used? Im just curious what you are comparing it to. Thanks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I owned a Leupold Gold Ring 12-40 x60 spotting scope for a while prior to my Zeiss spotter. I thought the optical quality of the Leupold was very close to the Zeiss, however, I did not like having the power adjustment ring adjacent to the focusing ring. I found it confusing to have both rings so close together. I also did not like the boxy shape of the Leupold for packing. I have owned a pair of Leica Trinovid 7 x 42 binoculars for over 10 years. Before I purchased my Zeiss spotting scope, I looked at and almost bought a 60 mm Swarovski angled spotter. My local Cabela's had a display model they had discounted pretty heavily at the time. I really liked the large eyepiece and thought they were very easy to look through. I just didn't think I could get used to the angled design. They tried to find a discounted straight spotter, but no luck. I would have gladly bought a straight Swarovski.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jims For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    The Dialyt is a tough, durable spotter, but does not control CA as well as the other options on your list. This is likely due to the lack of ED glass in the 5 piece achromat objective assembly. Another issue with the Dialyt is the short and critical eye relief. When I tried one I found it so noticeable I went to the Zeiss website for the technical data, and the eye relief specs were suspiciously absent. If you are really looking towards Zeiss, the Diascope 65 is much better scope, and is often found lightly used around the price of the Dialyt. Furthermore, if you want to digiscope, the Diascope also has many accessories (proprietary and 3rd party) available, while the Dialyt does not.

IMO, the Razor 16-48X65 is the best choice, from your list, for your all-around uses, especially if high-contrast viewing is on your menu, where the Dialyt will struggle.
    Man I tell ya what, I never understand what the hell you are talking about when it comes to optics!!!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by jims View Post
    I owned a Leupold Gold Ring 12-40 x60 spotting scope for a while prior to my Zeiss spotter. I thought the optical quality of the Leupold was very close to the Zeiss, however, I did not like having the power adjustment ring adjacent to the focusing ring. I found it confusing to have both rings so close together. I also did not like the boxy shape of the Leupold for packing. I have owned a pair of Leica Trinovid 7 x 42 binoculars for over 10 years. Before I purchased my Zeiss spotting scope, I looked at and almost bought a 60 mm Swarovski angled spotter. My local Cabela's had a display model they had discounted pretty heavily at the time. I really liked the large eyepiece and thought they were very easy to look through. I just didn't think I could get used to the angled design. They tried to find a discounted straight spotter, but no luck. I would have gladly bought a straight Swarovski.
    I have never been able to get used to angled spotters either. Something about not seeing out the spotter strait with how Im looking in it throws me off. I would probably have a Dialyt if I hadnt bought my Diascope used for about the same money about a year before the Dialyt came out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NDHunter View Post
    Man I tell ya what, I never understand what the hell you are talking about when it comes to optics!!!!!
    True statement.... My plan, when I finally decide to step up into a high quality spotter, is to just ask Hardstalk what it's gonna cost me.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    True statement.... My plan, when I finally decide to step up into a high quality spotter, is to just ask Hardstalk what it's gonna cost me.

Spotter and eye piece will run roughly $3000. Then toss in an extra $500 for a good tripod and hvy duty head. You're welcome

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ill remember not to buy optics through packmule

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would just order through Cabela's to get the pts, especially if I were being reimbursed.