Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    MM,

50mm scopes do not have a smaller field of view (at least not because they have 50mm objectives). FOV depends more on the eyepiece design than the objective size. I agree on apparent brightness though!
    Thanks BB! I really only tried 1 50mm (Leupold) because it was light and I could afford it at the time. The FOV was small, it was useless in low light, and really wouldnt do anything my 10x42 Swaro's couldnt. It went on one trip, stayed in the truck most of the time and went back to Cabelas.

The only reason the Dialyt would interest me is if its considerably lighter then the older Diascope 65 T*FL I have now. But I have seen very inconsistent figures on what it actually weights.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Turvey, Jr View Post
    No worries, no offense taken at all. We all have our opinions and that's totally fine; that's why we are all here to discuss this stuff. In my career I have worked closely with the optics industry but that doesn't make me a subject matter expert either. As far as chromatic aberration most hunters can relate to that as "clarity". It seems to me that all the colors focused so close to the same point that I didn't notice any aberration, even with cow elk on a snow field. As far as eye relief, we don't have a number though I am sure I can get it. We didn't find the eye relief to be an issue so neither of us gave it more thought than that. I've also had a pair of Zeiss Classic 10x42's around my neck for 20 years so I am used to that type of eye cup which could be why I don't have a problem with it. The big draw to the Dialyt for me is the solid optical performance combined with the most bombproof construction around. All the optical excellence in the world doesn't mean a thing if it can't survive harsh hunting conditions.

Thanks for clarifying. I don't like the word "clarity" when discussing optical performance, because it doesn't really tell us anything, and means something different to everybody, it seems.

As you alluded to, chromatic aberration is "color fringing" on high contrast subjects due to dispersion. I am surprised you didn't notice it much (especially off-axis), but everybody sees things differently, and it doesn't sound like something you were specifically testing for in your article.

I fully agree with your evaluation of the Dialyt as a scope with "solid optical performance combined with the most bombproof construction around." I think you could pound nails with it.

However, I stand by the Razor 65 having overall better optical performance, and also a very good build quality. It is also much more digiscoping friendly. I do wish Vortex would fully rubber armor the Razor series, as I prefer the feel, especially in the severe cold.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    The only reason the Dialyt would interest me is if its considerably lighter then the older Diascope 65 T*FL I have now. But I have seen very inconsistent figures on what it actually weights.
    I believe I did weigh the one I looked at. I will try to find my notes on it. I am pretty sure it was over 40 ounces though, so it wouldn't save you much over your Diascope. I really feel the Diascope is the better performer, optically.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Good read guys! There sure is a ton involved in scopes and reviews. Thanks!
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    The weights in our chart were taken from a certified postal scale in the back office without lens covers for all the scopes tested. That's as precise as we could get. I hope that helps.
    Managing Editor
    Eastmans' Hunting Journals

Team Turvey Captain – Eastmans' Big Man Challenge

Thanks
    Thanks BB! I have seen anything from them being nearly the same weight to 12oz or so different. I really like my Diascope alot but there are times when it would be nice to have a lighter spotter.

Thanks
    Yeah,

I found the weight I had was 43 ounces for the Dialyt. The Diascope with/ 15-45 eyepiece is 51 ounces. So a 1/2 pound difference.

If you have the big 15-56 eyepiece, then the difference is greater, more like 3/4 pound.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Turvey, Jr View Post
    The weights in our chart were taken from a certified postal scale in the back office without lens covers for all the scopes tested. That's as precise as we could get. I hope that helps.
    Yes, very helpful knowing they were actually weighed on the same scale. Thanks!

On Zeiss's website they show the 65mm Diascope weighs 39oz and the Dialyt weighs 42.15oz.

Thanks
    The Diascope weight was without eyepiece. 39 ounces for the body is accurate.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Yeah,

I found the weight I had was 43 ounces for the Dialyt. The Diascope with/ 15-45 eyepiece is 51 ounces. So a 1/2 pound difference.

If you have the big 15-56 eyepiece, then the difference is greater, more like 3/4 pound.
    Thanks BB! I have the 15-45 eyepiece.