Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Raider View Post
    WOW Not the answer I was expecting. The Balance Beam style is accurate enough?
    Accurate to I/10 of a grain. I am not going to argue with BB & UH because I too have a RCBS chargemaster. It is way faster and stores loading data for you. BUT....if you are on a budget, a balance scale is far cheaper. you really don't need any scoops or tricklers either. You and use a small kitchen measuring spoon. Yes it is slower, but far cheaper.

Hornady is 59.95 and the RCBS will set you back over 350.00 Just sayin...............
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 02-19-2014 at 11:04 AM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 36 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Accurate to I/10 of a grain. I am not going to argue with BB & UH because I too have a RCBS chargemaster. It is way faster and stores loading data for you. BUT....if you are on a budget, a balance scale is far cheaper. you really don't need any scoops or tricklers either. You and use a small kitchen measuring spoon. Yes it is slower, but far cheaper.

Hornady is 59.95 and the RCBS will set you back over 350.00 Just sayin...............
    CC certainly knows his stuff when it comes to reloading.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    How does the hornady stack up CC? I only have s balancer. But at $60, I could consider a digi. I do have a very small digital scale I weigh my archery equipment with. Head, finished arrows ect....

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    CC certainly knows his stuff when it comes to reloading.
    Been reloading for about 60 years...made my share of mistakes too! The only factory stuff I shoot is steel waterfowl loads and rimfire. Far less expensive, kinda fun and its really fantastic to know its your own loads that makes your gun so accurate!
    Colorado Cowboy
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I just googled "reloading balance scale" and priced the first one to come up. Probably be able to find one on sale if you look. Ebay would be a source for a used one. I use an old Lyman Ohaus. I bought a small Lee digital at a yard sale foe 25.00 a few years back.

Like I mentioned earlier the critical thing is to level the scale (need to do that with my big RCBS to). The only down side with digitals is temperature. When it is cold (below 50), mine measures a little different. I re-calibrate the digitals every time I use them.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 8 Posts
    Thats interesting the temp would affect the digital scale. Im just starting out with reloading. I chose a balance scale because its simple and reliable and not much to go wrong with them and I found a nice used one pretty cheap.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Thats interesting the temp would affect the digital scale. Im just starting out with reloading. I chose a balance scale because its simple and reliable and not much to go wrong with them and I found a nice used one pretty cheap.
    I should have been a little more explicit, the temp effect the Lee, not the RCBS. The Lee is pretty old and not really top of the line. I do recalibrate both before every reloading session.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I use an RCBS 5-0-5 balance scale. It works well for me. However, it can get a bit tedious and time consuming if you are loading many rounds. About 20 rounds at a session is all I usually do before taking a break. If you are a high volume loader, a digital setup would probably work best.

One additional tip that may be helpful with the balance scale is that I cover it with a clear plastic container when I am reading it. This is because the air currents created by the air conditioning or heating in the house will impact the accuracy of the scale. The clear cover prevents this and I can see through the cover the get the reading.
    Last edited by LaHunter; 02-20-2014 at 07:39 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for all the help. One other question. How do Lyman reloading products stack up with RCBS and Hornady?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    I disagree. Get a solid digital scale and save some time. I use an RCBS charge master combo and wouldn't consider going back to a beam.
    No question, buy the digital.