Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hunting in Oregon was pretty good 30 years ago. Spend some time In An upper level unit in NM and an Oregon tag isn't too desireable.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My Sheridan, WY buddy drew a Cali Bighorn Sheep tag for the Beatys unit in se OR last year and about had a heart attack when he got the news the way OR is so stingy with it's tags, LOL!
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 02-19-2014 at 06:28 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would have to agree with that letter and how it can hold true for most state preference point systems and the once in a lifetime hunts. I quit applying for points a few years ago because once you do some research, you really begin to agree with the letter. I feel it's worth saving the money from application and point fees and possibly having to go with an outfitter at some point in life to get a once in a lifetime hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The ONLY things non-res should be applying for are Oregon is bighorn sheep and Mt goat. The letter is very truthful, deer, elk and antelope hunts are not worth the wait or the money spent. I personally did some calculations for resident antelope, there are currently enough residents in the points system for antelope that if they stopped taking new applicants and tag numbers stayed the same, IT WOULD TAKE OVER 18 YEARS TILL EVERYONE CURRANTLY IN THE SYSTEM DREW A TAG! That is for residents, I can't imagine how long its going to take non-residents with 0 points to draw an antelope hunt, 30-40 years or more? Guys, listen to UH he's your friend

Thanks for posting that up Scott, I got a chuckle out of it!

P.S. If you do apply for sheep or goat make sure there is a tag offered to non-residents. Every year non-res apply for units that do not offer a non-res tags. ODFW will not tell you, YOU have to do the research.
    Last edited by Timberstalker; 02-19-2014 at 07:27 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I applied in Or once. It was the year before they raised the NR prices. The next year it was 2x the money to apply and I learned a little about this situation and decided to just let my point go. Its just not worth it when I can have a comparable or better hunt ever few years in other states.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I wonder if more people knew/understood the odds and therefore would not apply if it would help change things for future hunts? although I suspect it would just make more people apply or people who have been applying keep at it.

There are states, CA, OR, WA, WY sheep, etc... where I would have wanted to apply/drawn a tag but the odds were so bad, I figure in my lifetime I'll draw other tags in other states, and how many sheep do I need? or elk? ie. why spend a small fortune to "maybe" one day hunt that particular animal in that state when one could much more easily draw same animal/tag in another state.

I wonder when I'm 70 etc... if hunting truly will be a "rich man's sport" ?? ie... any 30yo just starting to apply for pts are gonna have to compete with the rest of us who already have 20+pts... plus all these kids who's parents had been building them pts since they were 10yo...

honestly I bet most states are gonna have to go to a system like some other states that square pts, because when the guy with 20pts gets the tag and the guy with 2pts has 0.00% chance of drawing a tag, there will be 0 incentive for that guy to apply at all... and therefore lose customers vs at least having a slim/possible chance of drawing.

honestly I just say to myself and everyone else... all you can do is the play the game at the moment, and adjust as it adjusts...

but early on I remember checking out OR... and kept coming to the same conclusion after a few years, I still will gander at the odds/species etc... and simply it's not worth it at all. But I'm not in the tag game for maybe I'll get "super lucky" I apply for tags that I'll probably be guaranteed at some point in my lifetime... I don't want after 30yrs to have a 1.5% chance or drawing.

Good luck everyone!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Exact thing happened to me in WA!

I had 1 pt, then they jacked app fees etc... and low odds etc... I'll draw a moose tag etc... in another state... or just book a hunt down the road...

Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    I applied in Or once. It was the year before they raised the NR prices. The next year it was 2x the money to apply and I learned a little about this situation and decided to just let my point go. Its just not worth it when I can have a comparable or better hunt ever few years in other states.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Most hunters have no idea about draw systems and odds. OR and AZ are prime examples. Oregon hunting is a joke so nobody cares enough to learn how it all works. The above letter is a perfect example of how it works in OR and some think it's a joke. As I asked above, "what part do you think isn't true?".

AZ is another example. There were only 66 tags a NR could draw for Early archery Elk if you weren't in the bonus pass. In the 1-2 pass where you could draw those 66 tags, there were over 30,000 1st and 2nd choice apps you were competing against. When you depend on NR money, you have limited tags and a large demand, and your draw system gets messed up like this, you get backed into a corner and things have to change. Unfortunately, people that have been in the game a while can take a hit in an effort to make things better for the majority.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyMusky View Post
    Exact thing happened to me in WA!

I had 1 pt, then they jacked app fees etc... and low odds etc... I'll draw a moose tag etc... in another state... or just book a hunt down the road...
    IMO a NR applying in WA is wasting their money. Im not even sure its worth it as a resident other then it dont cost much so I put my name in for trophy species and elk.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I wonder if when many of these long term point holders applicants do draw say their "sheep tag" will they simply harvest that sheep and stop applying in those other states they have sheep points? or will they keep at it and try for a 2nd sheep?

in some ways I can see once getting lucking in one state for a certain specie throwing in the towel in the other states with low draw odds, kind of like saying hey I got lucky in MT I'm not going to waste any more money in other states now that I finally drew said tag...

but then who wants to throw in the towel when they have 10+ pts somewhere...?