Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elk diy

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts

Elk diy

I have finally made my mind up and Iím going to do a DIY instead of getting an outfitter. Iím still young and in good shape. I plan on hunting with a friend that grew up in Sheridan Wyoming so he knows a little bit of the area but was young when he lived there. It seems like itís hard to draw a tag on the east side of the big horns in units 35, 36, 37, & 38.. am I correct about that? We will both have 1 PP going into the 2015 season. We will be rifle hunting and havenít elk hunted yet so looking for an area that will have a good number of elk and good chance to draw. We are not after huge bulls, just an average bull. What it looks like most of the best opportunities for a big bull will take a while to draw in a trophy unit. In the Wyoming elk unit map it says that you canít hunt in a wilderness area without a guide or resident. Is all the stuff on the map that is in green all considered wilderness and stuff I canít hunt on a DIY hunt? I am not a resident.. We would be staying in a wall tent or maybe backpacking in. I want to try to get in far enough to get away from any other huntersÖ any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance..

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Most of the "green' is forest service that you can hunt. There is some wilderness in the bighorns. I think its just south of 38? There might be a few units you would have a chance at in the special draw but in the regular draw you will need atleast 3 or 4 points aside from some units that are general units.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 1 Post
    With whatever area u decide on. Get a cow tag. Best way to learn an area. Test your gear. Test yourself. And a great way to save your point and determine if the area is suits u.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Let me know what u draw and I can help from there!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    So i could put in for 38 first choice with one point and most likely not draw and put in for a cow tag second choice are the odds of drawing a cow tag pretty good. Cause I wouldn't mind getting a cow tag and get to know the area for when I draw a bull tag. I suppose that would be an option.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    There are some units you can draw a cow tag 2nd choice. There are cheaper cow/calf tags in some too but be careful with them because alot of them restrict you to hunting only cretin parts of the unit. Go over the draw stats on the WY site and if you have questions about how to read them let me know.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    If you are looking at the elk map in the Wyoming regulations, the "wilderness" is cross-hatched. You can hunt public land outside of that cross-hatched without an outfitter. The outfitter requirement only applies to the area inside the cross-hatched area on the map.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks guys

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Retterath View Post
    So i could put in for 38 first choice with one point and most likely not draw and put in for a cow tag second choice are the odds of drawing a cow tag pretty good. Cause I wouldn't mind getting a cow tag and get to know the area for when I draw a bull tag. I suppose that would be an option.
    ***That would work! Last year it took <4PPs for a 100% success rate for a 38-1 tag, while the 38-4 cow tag was 100% with 0PPs. There are no reduced price Type 6 cow/calf tags issued for unit 38.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I was looking at unit 39 for elk and read on a post someone was saying it was hard for access. Why is that such a bad thing on the access part 39 is almost all public. Isn't it better to have less access so a person doesn't have to worry about coming up on trucks or 4-wheelers when trying to find elk. I plan on backpacking in with a buddy so can someone explain the access thing to me. I also read on a different site that when it snows in there sometimes people weren't able to get vehicles out and had to leave them in there, is that because of the greasy roads and terrible traction