Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    I don't think it's a concern as long as she's comfortable with what she has. I started with a 30.06 and my 11 year old is shooting that same 06 just fine. We all get wrapped up in what they are shooting. Reality is, when they aim at their first buck or bull, they won't even remember the shot(s)...no matter what they are shooting. If the gun fits her she will be fine. Make sure she has FUN!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My daughter turned 12 last summer. She's been shooting with me the past couple summers. I started her off this summer with my 22 mag. Then I had her cracking my 30-06. After that we moved up to my 300 RUM. I let her decide how many rounds she wanted to shoot out of each. She didn't hesitate to shoot the RUM once she got comfortable with it. In Oct she smoked a nice antelope and followed it up a couple weeks later with a nice 5x7 bull elk at 240 yards.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbuck View Post
    I don't think it's a concern as long as she's comfortable with what she has. I started with a 30.06 and my 11 year old is shooting that same 06 just fine. We all get wrapped up in what they are shooting. Reality is, when they aim at their first buck or bull, they won't even remember the shot(s)...no matter what they are shooting. If the gun fits her she will be fine. Make sure she has FUN!!!
    I agree that it doesn't matter when the game is in front of the rifle.....the problem I see is at the range. If the rifle bucks too much, she will shy away from it and most likely flinch. Then God forbid she scope herself, then your dealing with gun shy habits that will be hard to eliminate. In my humble opinion, the best bet, like most said, is to start her off with something mild like the .243 then possibly progress up to bigger calibers when she feels more comfortable.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 33 Times in 5 Posts
    One thing I learned from hunting with my girls is, have them used to shooting with shooting sticks. I messed up with my oldest, she missed an oportunity on a nice buck due to not being steady off hand. I have them used to shooting off sticks now.

Thanks
    Congratulations

12 year girls first year hunting

I think a 243 is great for younger deer hunters but a 7mm-08 would work too...seen lots of young girls shoot both guns in the South and take deer with no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DBurrr; 02-20-2014 at 10:19 AM.
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 2 Posts
    7mm-08 is a great caliber.....took an Idaho bull elk at 400 yards with no problem. Has killed multiple deer and an antelope as well. Definitely a viable option, only reason I didn't mention it before is my barrel is really short and that thing kicks like a mule. Wasn't sure if other 08s with regular barrel lengths are the same.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Take it from a girl who started hunting/shooting at a young age. I love hunting with my .243 even though I have not downed anything with it. I have put many rounds through it and I'm very comfortable with it. I am 20 now and have no problem slinging 7-8 rounds back to back of a 300 Winny. I am glad my father started me off with the .243. You don't want her to flinch when she pulls the trigger because of recoil...... just my .02

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I love the 270 for a starting rifle. Have a good muzzlebreak installed before she ever shoots it. The cost is approx. $150 and she will have a rifle for life with less recoil than a 243. The first opportunity she has at an elk will make you thrilled more than 100 grains is en route.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I bought my daughter a Savage 110C in 30-06 when she was old enough, but the trick was that I started her out just shooting the Remington Reduced Recoil loads (125gr bullets with less powder), which has the same recoil as a 243 and has ballistics similar to a 30-30. Once she got comfortable shooting those loads I let her try a full load 150gr round to see her reaction. She noticed the difference but she handled it okay. She used the reduced recoil loads for deer, but for elk I slipped in the full loads without her knowing (after I resighted in the scope with the full loads). She got a shot off at a cow (hit a tree instead), but in the excitement she never even noticed that it was a full load round. At least with the 30-06 there is a wide range of bullets you can use, and as she gets more practice then it will be more of an all-around gun for the future.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 10 Times in 3 Posts
    IDELKFVR:

I think the most rewarding hunts I have had were with my daughter (and other kids) regardless of outcome.
    I'll try to dig up a pic of my daughters first deer harvest when she was the same age.

I put her behind a Savage 250. In any case I agree that she needs to be comfortable with the firearm. The .270 with brake sounds like a really good plan just, for pete's sake, make sure you keep hearing protection on AT ALL TIMES!!!

Our other pre-hunt range time was spent with an A Bolt .308. Might get a good mix of recoil and the benefit of a bigger projectile. My kid felt really confident and comfortable with her Grandfathers .308 but hated my .270 and 30-06.

Really going to depend on her and I echo the shooting sticks, it will help a lot.

Enjoy your hunt it doesn't get any better than that!