Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Didn't realize Colorado gave out 50% of their limited quota tags via random draw.

Be surprised if it passes this year, but some version of it will be back every year until it passes...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 1 Post
    I'm very leery.

It appears by allowing a party to apply and using the participant with the highest number of points to dictate which preference point pool the applicants are entered in opens doors for sketchy behavior.

I'm all for increasing hunting opportunities in quality areas for youth hunters. My children are 16,13, and 8.

I'm not convinced this bill is worded to allow solely youth hunters an increased opportunity.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
    Preference points are great for the guys that get in the first cpl years. Ten years from now a new crew will be crying for a change.
    WapitiBob, you must be lucky. A non-resident with max points has a better chance to draw a tag than a resident in hard to draw areas. What are we talking for max points, 8? I've been applying for deer & antelope & elk for 30 years and still don't have much of a chance in those hard to draw areas.

Eastmans' Staff
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am one of those that hopes the state does not go to a preference point system for us residents. In doing the math and the calculations, our chances of drawing a tag are pretty darn good with the exception of only a few areas. Mathematically speaking the point system would be nearly pointless. Look at what it has done to CO. Can you imagine accumulating over 20-points in your own state? Personally, I think if an area has draw odds of less than 20% if you get a tag as a resident you should have to sit out of that specie draw for two years. That would eliminate much of the problem they have now.

Both the G&F and I know that resident points are coming down the pipe, they are just hoping to not have to do it for another 5-10 years yet. But, they may need the money before then. This could be one way, they get more for resident tags, think about it, if they charge you $14 for each specie for points, that's another $42.00 for each one of us each year, and they don't have to give out a single additional tag for that revenue. It's coming guys. I hate to say, it but it's coming.

As for sheep, they point creep for residents is getting out of control. I tried to get them to let me apply as a nonresident, but they said no way in hell on that deal. A non-resident hunter can cut at least two or three points off what a resident takes to draw for sheep and moose. The system is not working for us. I hate to say this, but they need to increase the cost of sheep and moose tags for residents up to about $500. Too many guys are putting everyone they know if for sheep and moose tags, some of them don't even care about hunting and it dilutes the odds for the rest of us. There are at least 20 residents each year with sheep and moose tags that don't even hunt with their tag...wives, sons, daughters, kids and neighbors who are put in by guys just to see if they can draw a tag, and then come to find out they don't even want to go once the tag is drawn. The $500 cost would solve that problem. In addition sheep and moose should be a once in a lifetime tag in WY, if you punch your tag. If you draw and don't fill the tag you can wait the five years and then try again. This isn't 1957 anymore, and Wyoming doesn't have a population of 250,000 people anymore.

There's my 2 cents about the situation. Where am I going wrong?

G-
    N. Guy Eastman
    Publisher
    Eastmans' Hunting Journals

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 45 Times in 3 Posts
    will there be a comment period on the proposal or will they just do it?

Eastmans' Staff
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I believe, even if it passes it will have to go through the commission and a comment period. But don't quote me on that.

G-
    N. Guy Eastman
    Publisher

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Guy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    If I was a Wy resident I would be all for the waiting period after drawing. I think the Idaho 1 year waiting period works well and gives everyone that didnt draw the year before a better chance to draw.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 35 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Personally, I think if an area has draw odds of less than 20% if you get a tag as a resident you should have to sit out of that specie draw for two years. That would eliminate much of the problem they have now.
    G-
    +1. Obviously I don't live in Wyoming, but I've participated in a couple draws where once you draw you can't draw for a certain period of time afterwards. This seems the most fair to try and spread out the wealth as I know some people seem to be the luckiest people on earth and might draw a certain permit more often then others.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    This is a kinda off the wall idea I had. Have a 1 or 2 point bonus point system. Everyone that doesnt draw gets 1 point and next year they would be entered in the drawing 2 times. If they didnt draw that time they would get 1 more point and be entered 3 times the next year, but that year their points would go back to zero weather they drew or not. It could also be done with a 1 point limit. That way it would still be pretty much a random draw but give everyone that didnt draw the year or 2 before a better chance to draw and not let points get out of control. This could also be combined with a waiting period after drawing or simply separating everyone that drew the year before into a separate pool that would draw only after everyone that didnt draw the year before was drawn.
    Last edited by Musket Man; 02-20-2014 at 03:39 PM.

Eastmans' Staff
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good ideas. I think, if WY does go to a point system for residents, they should just keep it simple like NV does, and just square your points so if you have three points your name goes into the draw nine times. Pretty simple and straight forward. Then the guys who have no points don't get totally screwed. I do also think residents should have to choose between limited quota and general for deer and you can't do both. This would take some of the pressure of the general areas like G and H. I have heard that the G&F is looking at making the residents choose ahead of time which general region they want to hunt for deer at the time of purchase. This might also help the general deer areas.

G-
    N. Guy Eastman
    Publisher

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Guy For This Useful Post: