Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It got hung up in the House last year and still almost passed. If it makes it out of the House committee this year, it should be close. Adding language that makes 50% of the tags still go random draw might be enough to push it through. If not, it'll keep coming back until it becomes law one of these days...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Bill died this morning in committee....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    Unfortunately, I'm sure it will be back next year.....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good deal. Maybe those that want a point system will take the time to create one that works for most rather than let Hicks throw something against the wall to see if it sticks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by HiMtnHnter View Post
    The fact is that general areas are our bread and butter since they offer the most opportunity and right now they're not doing all that well. The general area seasons are being shortened and timed at very difficult times of the fall to counter-act too much harvest. I don't think the discussion can be had without mentioning ways to improve general areas. I'm not saying totally limiting those areas is the way to go, either . . . but you can only shorten the seasons and toy with times of the year before something has to give.
    HiMtn Hntr

You hit the nail on the head. It's the elephant in the room that no one is talking about.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by HiMtnHnter View Post
    I agree for the most part. Whether it's straight random draw like now or some kind of preference point or bonus point system, your still going to be waiting for a tag for long periods if you want to hunt a popular area. Right now there are only a few limited quota areas to choose from, which doesn't give us much choice (or chance) if that's the route you want to take. The fact is that general areas are our bread and butter since they offer the most opportunity and right now they're not doing all that well. The general area seasons are being shortened and timed at very difficult times of the fall to counter-act too much harvest. I don't think the discussion can be had without mentioning ways to improve general areas. I'm not saying totally limiting those areas is the way to go, either . . . but you can only shorten the seasons and toy with times of the year before something has to give.
    Am I the only one that notices many of the folks pushing for a point system push for state-wide limited quota areas in the next sentence? I see that as a serious problem. We're pushing to get rid of general areas, and a point system at the same time, a nice double-whammy to ensure that our hunting opportunities become few and far between. I'm sure not saying everyone wanting a point system feels this way or vice versa, but it sure seems to be a common thread.

HiMountain, I'm not sure that we're at the point where manipulating seasons won't give us the management results that we're looking for. In spite of what we hear on the internet, the number of hunters in Wyoming is NOT dramatically more than it used to be. In fact, total deer hunter numbers in Wyoming (state-wide) have fallen steadily and dramatically since the late '70s/early 80's. Althought I'm sure everyone pissed and moaned back then as well, I can tell you for a fact, our deer herd populations were in much better shape. We're only harvesting does in very limited situations, and doe/fawn mortality and replacement is what drives population trends. I don't think there is any doubt that limiting buck harvest will benefit the perceived "quality" of the hunt, and possibly lead to older age class deer, but let's be honest, it won't do a thing for overall population health. The way to improve general areas as well as limited quota is to improve habitat, produce more fawns, and keep them healthy. If we can't improve the habitat, or if we're limited by the amount of quality habitat that is left, we may have to live with smaller herds, less opportunity. I sure hope not.

For the record, I would rather not see a point system for deer, antelope or elk. I don't think the current system is actually broken. But whatever we get, preference points, bonus points, random draw, I guess we'll all adapt and live with it. To be honest, I'm at the point that I'm sick to death of the whole issue.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rumor is now that next year the Bill will have antelope, deer, and elk removed from it and it will just be introduced for sheep and moose. There are also some guys that may try to have a system introduced like NV has, which IMHO is as fair as any point type system can be.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Wyoming residents are so spoiled they don't know how good they have it. They have the best hunting in the nation with general tags that allow them to hunt elk and/or deer every year. Switch to a preference system and you will be lucky to hunt once every 5 years. Be careful what you wish for.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EBOLAVIRS View Post
    Wyoming residents are so spoiled they don't know how good they have it. They have the best hunting in the nation with general tags that allow them to hunt elk and/or deer every year. Switch to a preference system and you will be lucky to hunt once every 5 years. Be careful what you wish for.
    Some of us know how well we have it. If I wanted to I could try and harvest 2 buck antelope, a buck mule deer, a buck whitetail deer, a bull elk, a couple cow elk and some does for deer and antelope. I really hope they don't pass a preference point system.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWyo View Post
    Am I the only one that notices many of the folks pushing for a point system push for state-wide limited quota areas in the next sentence? I see that as a serious problem. We're pushing to get rid of general areas, and a point system at the same time, a nice double-whammy to ensure that our hunting opportunities become few and far between. I'm sure not saying everyone wanting a point system feels this way or vice versa, but it sure seems to be a common thread.

HiMountain, I'm not sure that we're at the point where manipulating seasons won't give us the management results that we're looking for. In spite of what we hear on the internet, the number of hunters in Wyoming is NOT dramatically more than it used to be. In fact, total deer hunter numbers in Wyoming (state-wide) have fallen steadily and dramatically since the late '70s/early 80's. Althought I'm sure everyone pissed and moaned back then as well, I can tell you for a fact, our deer herd populations were in much better shape. We're only harvesting does in very limited situations, and doe/fawn mortality and replacement is what drives population trends. I don't think there is any doubt that limiting buck harvest will benefit the perceived "quality" of the hunt, and possibly lead to older age class deer, but let's be honest, it won't do a thing for overall population health. The way to improve general areas as well as limited quota is to improve habitat, produce more fawns, and keep them healthy. If we can't improve the habitat, or if we're limited by the amount of quality habitat that is left, we may have to live with smaller herds, less opportunity. I sure hope not.

For the record, I would rather not see a point system for deer, antelope or elk. I don't think the current system is actually broken. But whatever we get, preference points, bonus points, random draw, I guess we'll all adapt and live with it. To be honest, I'm at the point that I'm sick to death of the whole issue.
    Maybe you misunderstood me SouthernWyo, or I guess my post was a little misleading. I'm not really in favor of a preference point system either. Regardless of the system, the fact is that we are all vying for a finite resource. In a lot of areas, the resource is struggling due to a variety of factors. Improving habitat is a great, but a costly and monumental task when you deal with mother nature.

Nor am I in favor of every area going limited. Far from it. I hunt general areas every year as a resident, but some of these areas are struggling, even with very limited season lengths.

One of the big problems I see in these areas is vehicular access. There are simply too many people able to access every nook and cranny with a truck or ATV. I don't really have an answer there, just food for thought. It's a fact that there are not as many hunters as there have been in the last decade in WY hunting deer, but man they get around. Less habitat and more access is not a good combination . . . On the other hand, in general areas I have hunted with limited vehicular access the experience is much better.

Another thing to consider is just how efficient we have become. A quick search on the internet can clue you into some good spots that were not found by the sweat of your brow and you can wack a deer with that 300 RUMSA$R$%#$% with a range-finding scope beyond 500 yards fairly easily with little previous practice. A host of other technologies has made us pretty darn efficient, even if we are less than we were years ago . . .

If WY does implement a preference or bonus points system I sure hope that there is still a sizeable random draw.

Limiting WY residents to one region has also been discussed. I'm not smart enough to see the full ramifications of that move, but it seems like it would alleviate "region hopping" were the pressure just moves with the seasons . . . At this point I don't like that idea, but I suppose I would like it more than all areas being limited.
    Last edited by HiMtnHnter; 03-02-2014 at 05:21 PM.