Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antelope 50-0

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts

Antelope 50-0

Has anyone hunted in 50 (rifle or muzzy)? After a long internal debate with myself I decided to put this down as my 2nd choice in the Spec App. The family and I will be in Yellowstone the end of Aug so I was looking for a unit I could hunt in early Sept after they flew back home, this unit has the early muzzle loader hunt. I debated a trespass hunt but decided I would front the extra $$ for the spec app and see how it goes, plus I have never hunted them with a muzzle loader so I figured it was a new challenge for me.

If I draw I am going to see if I can get one of the HMA permits too.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    I noticed there were a few ML hunts. I didnt know they could be drawn 2nd choice.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 52 Times in 6 Posts
    I'm sure 50 could be drawn 2nd choice, that unit is largely private land, some HMA type stuff and a small chunk of BLM. There is a large chunk of forest service but I wouldn't know if the Antelope reside there or not.

Last edited by woodtick; 03-04-2014 at 05:45 PM.
    TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."
    Confucius

4. The Following User Says Thank You to woodtick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 2 Posts

Antelope 50-0

Look at the DIYHUNTING maps for elk area 10/11. You will see a large purple section between Arlington and The Wagonhound exit on i80. That is the Wick brothers habitat management area. It's open to hunting without a permission slip. There is usually quite a few goats there. Then you can still apply for the HMA's. I was out there a couple years ago scouting for elk and there was always antelope in the Wick. The wick is the pink section on the map above this post.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ssliger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    I noticed there were a few ML hunts. I didnt know they could be drawn 2nd choice.
    In the spec app it is a possibility, Im not counting my blessings and assuming I read the results correct too!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks guys, I now have all those places marked on my Basecamp map. Im mainly applying for the HMA so I can have access to a place with controlled hunter pressure.

Im going to check out the NF boundaries and see if they hold any antelope, I was looking for a few places to hike in but none of the antelope habitat really offers that.

The public parcel West of the forest seems nice, but it has over 30 miles of roads...Im sure that gets hunted pretty hard but maybe there is a place or two to get off the road and away from the road warriors.
    Last edited by AT Hiker; 03-04-2014 at 08:06 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    According to the stats you should be able to draw 50-0 as a second choice without much of a probem.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AT Hiker View Post
    In the spec app it is a possibility, Im not counting my blessings and assuming I read the results correct too!!!
    That makes sense. I think I just looked at the reg draw.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 52 Times in 6 Posts
    The last 3 years in Special you could have drawn this tag 2nd choice, I think I'll resubmit my application for this tag 2nd choice also anyone else want to sabatoge his chances of drawing this tag!! J/K
    TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."
    Confucius

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by woodtick View Post
    The last 3 years in Special you could have drawn this tag 2nd choice, I think I'll resubmit my application for this tag 2nd choice also anyone else want to sabatoge his chances of drawing this tag!! J/K
    Haha! If I dont draw now I know who to blame! Go ahead and send me your address so I can put you on the PETA mailing list too!!!!

I will admit that I am reluctant to apply for this tag because of the access issues and the biologist in the area really hasnt had anything good to say about the numbers. However, the MAIN reason I am applying is because if I want to hunt antelope this is the only time frame I can hunt this year. I will also have a decent amount of time to learn the area and hunt as hard as I need to, assuming there is even anything there to hunt!

Throw in that it is a muzzle loader only hunt and now I am limited in my shot distance...need to practice my Mohican Sneak this summer.
    Last edited by AT Hiker; 03-05-2014 at 12:31 PM.