Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree with Guy on the resident PP system. It has become a disaster here in Colorado. If I want to draw a top deer or elk unit I need at least 20 points and those units are creeping up .5 to 1 point per year so a guy might as well give up on that now. I think Wyoming would benefit from making residents pick either a general season or a draw unit for deer. If you want quality deer hunts you cant have your cake and eat it too. Look at how far Colorado has come since they instituted the unit system instead of a general tags for mule deer. The quality and quantity of bucks in Colorado has drastically improved in the last 12 years. I also don't think you can blame the Eastman's or anyone else for that matter because an area becomes popular and more sought after. With forum's like this as well as T.V shows, magazines, the B&C Club record books, and the overall popularity of trophy hunting growing people finding out about the top producing areas in each state was inevitable.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm agreement with Guy...almost. I know the sheep thing is a mess but in the case of moose I think the point system is working really well. I have been the recipient of 2 moose tags. The first was through the random draw in '93. 2 years later they went to the point system and I was not grandfathered in. I waited my 5 years and then started applying. I even forgot to put in for my tag one year so I was now 3 years behind everyone. Well, after diligently applying for many years I drew my second tag in 2008 because I had enough points for my area which I'll add was a very good area (I got a Booner). Now the 5 year waiting period is up and I can once again start applying for moose and I do expect to get drawn one more time (albeit I'll be kind of old when I do).

I also drew a sheep tag through the random draw in '94. Same story as moose except I'm 4 years behind max points. I could be seventy when I get another tag but I plan on getting one.

Like Guy, I would hate to see deer and elk got to a preference point system but maybe it would work for antelope since all the tags are limited quota anyways and I don't think people get quite so devoted to drawing a specific area when it comes to antelope tags like they do for elk.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You guys have made some very valid points but let me start by saying that instituting preference points is opening a can of worms that will likely never be able to be closed. Being from colorado I know exactly how preference points can create a total disaster. 20 years ago my dad and I planned on accumulating enough points to hunt in the NW corner when it only took 7 points. When we reached 9 points the points required had climbed to 15 so we decided to burn our points on a RWF hunt and gave up on the pipe dream of hunting in the NW corner. My kids are 3 and 7 and at the rate of increase in the PP system they would be in their 50's before ever having the possible opportunity to hunt there.

I don't think there is a unit in colorado or anywhere else for that matter that is worth waiting that long to hunt. I would suggest making people choose between having a license or gaining a point. If you draw a license then you can't get a point. I for one would choose a license over a point anyday. I realize that this effects budget gains made from such things as second choice licenses but I'm not sure if there is really an answer to the problem, but I do know that once it is instituted how can it ever be modified in a way that doesn't rip the carpet out from under the feet of people who have put in their time.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I don't have a dog in the fight, but I just can't understand how a resident of Wyoming could ever want any type of preference/bonus point system. I hate to offend anyone, but the desire for any system other than a pure random draw is nothing but selfish and self serving.
    Screw the little guy that was a year to young to get in on the ground floor, he doesn't deserve a chance at the best unit in the state.

The residents in WY have it so good, it's almost disgusting. Half the state is a general elk tag, you have a pile of general deer units, you can apply for a limited entry unit, and if you don't draw, can go hunt some of the best public ground in the country, ON AN OTC TAG!

Y'all are nuts for wanting to change that, just so maybe you can draw a desert unit elk tag in the next 20 years.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fink For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Fink---That's what I keep telling all the residents on another website that are trying to push one through!!!

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Well said Fink.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Congratulations
    No way should there be a point system. Everyone wants it now, but they also wanted it for trophy species. Now they don't want it. Talked to a biologist here and he said there would be a very high percentage of elk areas that would be a once in a lifetime draw like area 1 moose. When it gets to that point, and it would quickly, everyone would be complaining about the point system. Everyone has the same chance as everyone else right now. I find that to be the fairest way there is. I have drawn a bull tag the last 2 out of 3 years. I don't plan on drawing another for a while. My luck has to be run out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by birdhunter View Post
    No way should there be a point system. Everyone wants it now, but they also wanted it for trophy species. Now they don't want it. Talked to a biologist here and he said there would be a very high percentage of elk areas that would be a once in a lifetime draw like area 1 moose. When it gets to that point, and it would quickly, everyone would be complaining about the point system. Everyone has the same chance as everyone else right now. I find that to be the fairest way there is. I have drawn a bull tag the last 2 out of 3 years. I don't plan on drawing another for a while. My luck has to be run out.
    I agree for the most part. Whether it's straight random draw like now or some kind of preference point or bonus point system, your still going to be waiting for a tag for long periods if you want to hunt a popular area. Right now there are only a few limited quota areas to choose from, which doesn't give us much choice (or chance) if that's the route you want to take. The fact is that general areas are our bread and butter since they offer the most opportunity and right now they're not doing all that well. The general area seasons are being shortened and timed at very difficult times of the fall to counter-act too much harvest. I don't think the discussion can be had without mentioning ways to improve general areas. I'm not saying totally limiting those areas is the way to go, either . . . but you can only shorten the seasons and toy with times of the year before something has to give.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HiMtnHnter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    In harder to draw areas points work fairly well for everyone that gets in the first year. After that with point creep its hard or impossible to ever ketch up. Areas that take 4-5 points and dont creep it seems to work ok but in a random draw you would probably draw them every 4-5 years anyways. I would rather have a random draw any day.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    FYI, this bill passed the Senate 25-5 and is now in committee in the House.