Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unit 54

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unit 54

Going to hunt Colorado for the first time this year with a buddy and his dad and father in law. No preference points yet. We have been doing a lot of research on the DOW website to try and find a decent either sex rifle tag and unit 54 is one that we are interested in. There are other hunts we are looking at, but mainly interested in either sex 1st or 2nd season rifle hunts.
    My buddy and I are in good shape, but the 2 older gents wont be able to put on a heavy pack and hike 5 miles in to hunt. They can hike some, but nothing too extreme.
    Just looking for information on this unit as far as what the terrain holds. Is there a lot of good access here for older folks to have a chance to bag an elk, or would it be too strenuous for them?

Not really looking for trophy area, more like a good area just to put a tag on an animal to fill the freezer. Not too sure how many more years of hunting his dad will be able to manage, so we would like a decent chance for him as well as us.
    Any input is welcome and if you know of any units that are more what we are looking for, I'm all ears!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    54 has quite alot of wilderness and you would probabaly need horses to hunt it effectively and get elk out if you are successful.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Don't know the unit personally but from what others have posted I've heard that it's pretty steep and not a easy hunt. There also might be snow by that time of year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the feedback fellas. Looks like I may need to look elsewhere.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Daddy View Post
    Thanks for the feedback fellas. Looks like I may need to look elsewhere.
    You might want to look across the road in Unit 55. The unit is far easier to access with roads. I've been there deer hunting 3 times during the 3rd season and there are always guys elk hunting down near the sage flats. You can even stay in Gunnison in a cabin and be up there in half an hour. I've only gotten into elk a couple times, but I hunt a bit lower than most of the elk hunters.

If you are looking for meat and a good time, I think you would do FAR better with a cow hunt in some of the better units in Wyoming. In fact you can draw a cow moose tag with only a couple points in some of the best units as a non-resident.

There are TONS of amazing hunting options for meat animals. The way I look at it, I'd just as soon get a cow as a rag horn.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If talking about the Wildwood cabins, they started doing long term leases on those a cpl years ago and availability is slim.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by packmule View Post
    If talking about the Wildwood cabins, they started doing long term leases on those a cpl years ago and availability is slim.
    Dang…one of my favorite spots. There are some places up closer to Almont though I have never stayed there.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ours too. The yearly regulars have resorted to the little single units and some of those were being long term leased as well. It makes business sense so won't fault them for it, beats having to sell them off.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    54 has quite alot of wilderness and you would probabaly need horses to hunt it effectively and get elk out if you are successful.
    West Elk Wilderness in 54 is where I probably will be this Sept during M/L season. I have a hunt booked with an outfitter, but am having ankle surgery in a couple of weeks, so I'll have to see how it goes before I apply. If I don't get it this year, next year is already set aside with the outfitter.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    They are still renting some of the cabins at wild wood. I've already reserved one for the 3rd season. Stayed with them in 2011 owners where really nice and even helped us with some good spots to hunt.