Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Preference pt advice needed

So I'm very new to western hunting as I've only lived in NM since last Oct. I would like to start building preference points in at least one other state for Bighorn, Mt Goats, and Moose. I know it's kinda late in the game this year and I might have missed out on some of the application deadlines already but I'm looking for any advice you guys have on which states I should start buying preference points for regarding these 3 animals. Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I don't have a ton of knowledge on these species since I'm more of an elk and deer guy, but if you subscribe to EHJ and EBJ the MRS sections will give you a real good breakdown state by state and help guide you.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You have not missed any deadlines for getting points this season but the truth of the matter is starting out with 0 points you are going to be in for a very very long wait at best. Points needed to draw creep up every year and mathematically many applicants will never draw in their lifetime. I would look at hunts with a strait random draw so atleast you have the same chance as everyone else, or possibly hunts that use bonus points so atleast you have some chance of drawing. Info on each states trophy species hunts will be in the MRS in the next few issues or you can look at lastyears online if you dont still have the magazines.

Eastmans' Staff
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ltsheets,

I would look at MT for those three species. Then maybe WY or CO. Those three states have the best opportunity. I would just apply for ID, each year, they don't have a point system but the draw odds are better than most.

Good luck.

G-
    N. Guy Eastman
    Publisher
    Eastmans' Hunting Journals

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You'd have better luck going to Canada. Just starting out anywhere in the U.S. you are in for many, many, many years of disappointment.
    Here in the U.S.......maybe Idaho; anywhere else, you'd have better luck winning the Powerball.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trkytrack2 View Post
    You'd have better luck going to Canada. Just starting out anywhere in the U.S. you are in for many, many, many years of disappointment.
    Here in the U.S.......maybe Idaho; anywhere else, you'd have better luck winning the Powerball.
    Excellent, excellent, excellent advice!!! Consider your odds and the cost to draw a tag. For example, if you have an 0.5% chance to draw and say it costs $100 to apply, statistically you will invest around $20,000 to draw that type of tag. That is basically gambling.

Please do NOT waste your money on Wyoming sheep or moose points. If you don't have 10 to 12 points you are wasting your money and will likely never draw barring a change to the system.

Don't waste your money in Montana. The odds are poor even for max point holders. Points are squared and you are 13 years behind the max. That means the max point holder has 170 times the odds you would (13 times 13 + current year). Odds are still very poor for max point holders.

Utah's odds for sheep, moose and goat are astronomical. If you are applying for other species anyways you might apply, which is basically like buying a lottery ticket. I have max points for desert sheep, and still have less than 0.4% chance to draw.

Colorado you will not even be eligible to draw for 3 years and you are 16 years behind max. I am at or near max points for all three species, and only have odds of 1 to 5% (depending on species).

Idaho is your best odds odds but the costs to apply are significant, and you have to pick one of the three, and can apply for nothing else.

The philosophy "someone has to draw" is basically gambling. You have to be strategic with your hunting dollars.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 02-20-2014 at 12:38 PM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Ltsheets View Post
    So I'm very new to western hunting as I've only lived in NM since last Oct. I would like to start building preference points in at least one other state for Bighorn, Mt Goats, and Moose. I know it's kinda late in the game this year and I might have missed out on some of the application deadlines already but I'm looking for any advice you guys have on which states I should start buying preference points for regarding these 3 animals. Thanks in advance.
    LT.
    Sent you a PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Listen to what UH stated and save your money to hunt those species outside the US!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Wow guys, I didn't realize the chances were that bleak. I do have Eastmans and the MRS sections so I'll take a closer look at them. I'll also apply each year to NM where I'm a resident right now but the draw odds are around 1% or less depending on the unit. Is there anywhere in the states worth buying points for any of those 3 species with the hopes of hunting in 15-20 yrs??

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Save cash, buy the hunt in a, place you don't need points. Canada and Alaska come to mind...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ScottR For This Useful Post: