Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 10 Posts
    I think 1% is pretty good odds compared to alot of places. I apply in my home state because it dont cost much and I apply in Nevada because I apply for deer/elk/antelope and trophy species dont cost alot more there either. Other then that I havent seen any place that I think is worth it to start building points (worth it to me anyways).

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The sad thing is the odds get worse every year as more people buy into the points game.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well this sucks haha. It's slightly depressing to think that my best odds are paying 14000+ for a dall hunt in Alaska might be the cheapest sheep hunt other than the Barbary here in NM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Atleast the Alaska hunt if you pay the money you can actually go on it. Here you could put alot of money into alot of states and never draw. I have been thinking about looking into the Barbary sheep in NM!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I have max points in Wyoming for deer, and one for antelope and none for elk. Here in Colorado I have 13 for antelope and 5 for deer and 3 for elk. None anywhere else.

The Wyoming deer situation is pretty bad as the unit I want is only a 5% draw with max points, I am probably going to use them on another unit soon. (at my age I can't just keep buying points for a hunt that might never happen) I'll keep buying antelope tags as my hunting buddy and I can draw what we want every couple of years.

Colorado antelope is a different story. The Hybrid draw is used on the unit I really want to hunt (I'm 1 behind on pts). I drew it in 2012 with less than what was needed because of the Hybrid. Unfortunately I turned it in before season opened because I had to go to Calif on a family emergency...got all my points back! I can draw the deer and elk tag I want every 2 or 3 years here, so I'll keep getting points. Once I use up all my antelope point, won't buy any more.

Colorado is in their planning process for the next 5 years right now and they are asking for public comments on the PP situation...looks like were are in for a big change, at least that's the rumor.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 55 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Colorado is in their planning process for the next 5 years right now and they are asking for public comments on the PP situation...looks like were are in for a big change, at least that's the rumor.
    CC can you expand on what you are hearing. I have felt Colorado may be very close to making a significant change, especially since they set the next 5 year season structure this year. I am thinking very very seriously of burning my pile of Colorado elk points this year.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 3 Posts
    LT just sent you a PM.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 55 Times in 7 Posts
    One other thing to look at are raffle hunts, I know it's a gamble, but the odds are related to how much money you spend, plus a hunt with a much longer season and extended area.

I will use Oregon as an example(Oregon does not a have points sytem for sheep): In Oregon a non resident has to buy a non refundable liscense + app fee = totaL of $148.50 to apply for one of the very few draw hunts available to a non-res with draw odds in the the .9% to .3% range. Then IF you were lucky enough to draw then you have to buy the tag for $1300.50! You would have $1448.50 into your tag.

In the raffle you can have better odds at that cost and hunt any unit in the state for 2 months. If you were to spend $1448 on raffle tickets you would have about a 5% chance of winning the raffle according to last years ticket sales. WANNA GAMBLE?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i agree timber. Raffles are a good way to get your name in the hat more times and some offer better odds then applying for a tag. I think I would rather spend the $148 on raffle tickets then the hunting license.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That raffle is interesting.