Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

DIY Antelope Hunt Help

I know there are a lot of posts on this topic but I'm going to add another one. I've read as many as I could so I don't need tips on what gear to bring but I do need help on where to hunt. I'm trying to stick to the east side of the state if possible. I'm coming from Indiana so I have quite a drive ahead of me but it will be worth it. I'm not trophy hunting this year due to the fact that I've never been Antelope hunting before so I just want to be successful. Where does everyone recommend I put in to get a tag, I've been reading and am leaning towards unit 43 but I really don't know if that is a wise choice? Any info is appreciated. Sorry for the repeat post just looking for some help.

Thanks again

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    first id narrow it down to a state than a unit, not a unit than a state! hahaha

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Incarcerator View Post
    I know there are a lot of posts on this topic but I'm going to add another one. I've read as many as I could so I don't need tips on what gear to bring but I do need help on where to hunt. I'm trying to stick to the east side of the state if possible. I'm coming from Indiana so I have quite a drive ahead of me but it will be worth it. I'm not trophy hunting this year due to the fact that I've never been Antelope hunting before so I just want to be successful. Where does everyone recommend I put in to get a tag, I've been reading and am leaning towards unit 43 but I really don't know if that is a wise choice? Any info is appreciated. Sorry for the repeat post just looking for some help.

Thanks again

Lol…are we safe to assume this is Wyoming?
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The east side of Indiana has Antelope? and to think I drove to WY to get mine!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Do you have any points? Do you want to apply in the regular draw, special draw, 2nd choice, leftover tag, public land, private land, guided? Where should I apply to have a successful hunt is a pretty general question and could have alot of different answers. My advise is find the unit the farthest east with the most public land you have the points to draw and apply for it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Lol my bad, yes Wyoming. No I have no points, would like to put in for the regular draw, public land, not guided for sure. Sorry I know it was a pretty vague post. I spoke with the Biologist from the Laramie area and he recommended to put in for 43, 38, or 42. Does anyone have experience on these areas?

Thanks again.

Mike

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Lol my bad, yes Wyoming. No I have no points, would like to put in for the regular draw, public land, not guided for sure. Sorry I know it was a pretty vague post. I spoke with the Biologist from the Laramie area and he recommended to put in for 43, 38, or 42. Does anyone have experience on these areas?

Thanks again.

Mike
    ***I've no exerience with those units at all as to access to public land, but here are last years odds on those in the random draw you'll be in. Unit 38 had no first choice applicants for the 83 tags, unit 42 had 177 first choice applicants for 95 tags, and unit 43 had 49 first choice applicants for 71 tags.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Go through the draw odds and find all the units you can draw with 0 points, then look at public land and access in those units and narrow it down from there. Most units you can draw with 0 points will have some access issues and/or limited public land. Do your research on access before you apply.

Thanks
    Congratulations

Thanks again.

Mike
    Welcome to the forum.

I went through this process myself recently. There is a lot of research that you need to do in order to make an informed decision on where to apply and in which draw. It is a fun but challenging process.

This forum and others are also great sources of information. I was able to disregard some of the areas that I was interested in just by getting first hand information from those familiar to those areas.

Obtaining BLM maps, Mytopo map, and the GPS chips/downloads that are available are just some of the things that you need to do in order to help the process.

Studying the G & F website..researching draw odds, success, etc is imperative. Contacting biologists and game wardens is yet another element.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

GR6

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks again.

Mike
    I have hunted the Laramie valley numerous times. My wife and son shot their first antelope there this year. Get your BLM maps and your walk in area maps. You will have numerous opportunities and will see lots of antelope. Hold out a bit- there are trophy bucks in these areas. There are also HMA areas you have to apply for after you have your tag. These are ranches that the state gains access to for the public to hunt. Its free but they limit the number of people on the for the first week or two. If you wait until the last week of season, you won't see another hunter and there will still be plenty of antelope to shoot. Talk to the Laramie office and they will point you in the right direction.