Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Something else to consider is the tension at which most modern Crossbows are at, the strings are extremely wearable. It is often recommended to not shoot them much past 200 shots before replacing them. I have not seen, or experienced a string blow up on me, but have had friends that did after ignoring that recommendation.
    I hunt because......

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Unless you have to shoot a crossbow for physical reasons, I would get a good compound instead. There's not much real world difference between the two in most hunting situations. With a little practice, you can shoot an arrow to just about any range you feel comfortable and with a flatter trajectory and more downrange energy than a bolt. The crossbows are also awkward to handle and don't lend themselves as well to carrying around. I have limited experience with crossbows but that's just my take on them, especially for the western big game hunter. Good luck in whatever you decide to do and I hope you crush a monster this fall.
    Last edited by D.Turvey, Jr; 03-05-2014 at 02:01 PM.
    Managing Editor
    Eastmans' Hunting Journals

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    I am not a crossbow fan but I have hunted with people that use them. I won't go over all the points already made but I will point out one distinct advantage that a crossbow has for all hunting. You don't have to draw your bow at the time of the shot and you don't have to hold the weight back waiting for the right moment. I have seen numerous animals spook at the drawing motion that would have likely been harvested by a crossbow hunter. I have also seen hunters get too tired from holding their bow back and spook animals when letting it down. You can lay prone and be much more concealed- huge advantage when calling in elk.

I personally can't stand shooting them. They just feel cumbersome and awkward.