Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wyoming Rattlesnake Mtn HMA

OK so I've hunted Wyoming twice, but not on a HMA. On Monday, my buddy n I should be finding out the good news that we drew for unit 23 elk (6.5 points).
    I see that the Rattlesnake Mtn HMA covers thousands of acres, including ALOT of BLM and some state ground. I understand that the HMA s have their own rules and dates.
    So my question is this; Is the PUBLIC ground inside the HMA illegal to hunt on the regular elk opener of Oct 1, considering that the HMA opener ( for last year) isn't til Oct 11??
    I'm sure that this info is tucked away somewhere and someone here will know the answer instantly.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would call the regional office for that area. I have herd mixed reviews on access in that area and I think there are alot of walk in areas that are open to deer and antelope but not elk. Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks Musket. Gonna call G & F on Monday. I can see from the map that the HMA ties up thousands of acres of otherwise publicly accessible land, and very little private land is actually contained in it.
    It strikes me as odd that there is no deer hunting included, and for elk the entire month of September and the first 2 weeks of October are not huntable.
    I certainly hope that there are no outfitters hunting either deer or elk on any of this ground during the closed time frame!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by kesand72 View Post
    Thanks Musket. Gonna call G & F on Monday. I can see from the map that the HMA ties up thousands of acres of otherwise publicly accessible land, and very little private land is actually contained in it.
    It strikes me as odd that there is no deer hunting included, and for elk the entire month of September and the first 2 weeks of October are not huntable.
    I certainly hope that there are no outfitters hunting either deer or elk on any of this ground during the closed time frame!!
    Kesand72, make sure you have a GPS and a land status chip in it. That area is surrounded by private land, and is patrolled by some. When pressured (always) the elk & deer flock to the private and usually stay there. There is quite a bit of hunter pressure.
    Just make sure you know where you are, and the boundarys. Good luck.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to shootbrownelk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would sure think that you could hunt the public inside the HMA boundaries but like others have said, I would definitely call the G&F and probably the BLM office too.

Have you got some areas to hunt in mind? I had planned on applying for 23 but after talking to a few G&F guys and other references, they strongly advised me to not apply there. I guess after opening day, there is one large private ranch and the elk filter onto there and rarely leave. Obviously there are elk elsewhere in the unit and I don't mean to be negative but if you draw and don't have any "in's" out there, it might be a tough hunt. I've seen big bulls come out of that unit though too so a guy never knows.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NDHunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I looked at it and find it confusing that there is somuch public land included in the HMA too. Maybe alot of it is landlocked? I will be interested to see what you findout about it!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yes I have the GPS and Wyoming chip, along with the BLM maps all marked up! I've been looking at this hunt for several years while drawing points, and spent a day scouting along the western perimeter after filling my unit 67 lope tag in 2011 with a great 76" buck.
    My bud n I were suppose to hunt Wyoming elk last year but ended up hunting New Mexico insread .
    My big concern here is that I hope this is not a cooperative effort between G&F and these ranches to keep public land hunters out in exchange for almost no access to their private land. This HMA appears to be made up of about 90% BLM and state ground.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I was looking into that area a couple years ago and i thought the area was open to deer and antelope then. I could be remembering wrong or there have been some changes but I really thought you could hunt deer then and now I dont see deer on it. it would really change things for deer 89 if you couldnt hunt that whole area. I dont see how they can keep you from hunting blm land that you can access without going through the private land in the HMA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yes deer hunting had been allowed in the past but now its only antelope, elk for 1\9 of the entire season, and mountain lion. I have printed out everything G&F has on this and the way it reads " It is comprised of private and leased lands of the Dumbbell Ranch, Clear Creek Cattle Co, and Circle Bar Ranch". I certainly hope the "leased lands" does not refer to our federal BLM lands, which is otherwise highly accessible.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The dept has the authority to make season decisions that include public land. They could easily have different dates.
    I would get past the front desk with that question.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to WapitiBob For This Useful Post: