Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
    The dept has the authority to make season decisions that include public land. They could easily have different dates.
    I would get past the front desk with that question.
    ***Very good comment WB. I can also tell him before he calls that you can't go within the boundaries of an HMA, regardless of what lands it's comprised of, unless it's within the dates for the animals designated in the HMA and they have a legal tag for that animal in that unit. That's why the WIHAs and HMAs have their own rules you have to abide by, including dates that may be different than the rest of the lands within a unit. I haven't looked into the legally accessible public lands in that area if it wasn't in the HMA, but would suspect that a lot or all of it may not be legally accessible and that's what G&F and the land owners have agreed to in order to at least open up that ground for hunters during certain dates.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 02-23-2014 at 02:00 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    There is definately access. There is a county road going through the middle of it that goes through alot of BLM and a state highway borders it in one area thats BLM. I think anyone that draws 89 deer and finds out they cant hunt deer on all of that blm land anymore is going to be pretty unhappy. Maybe they closed it for deer and shortened the other seasons on it because of the winter kill and numbers being down?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    This is the main issue I have with western hunting, you dang near need a team of attorneys to figure out what you can do. I know ignorance is no excuse but man you almost need a PhD in WY G&F laws to hunt out there.

Best thing I can tell you is to ask all the questions you can come up with and get the persons name and number you talked with, so if any issues arise you can always call them back.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AT Hiker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    kesand72. Just wondering if you had talked to anyone at F&G or found anymore out?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    OK so here it is! Just got off the phone with Access Coordinator Matt Withroder. All public ground within the HMA that is accessible by public means, is legal to hunt as per state regulations, regardless of HMA rules.
    This is a big relief, as most of this HMA is public ground, including the highest ground in this unit!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kesand72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That sounds much better! Did he say anything about why there is somuch public land in the HMA?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Didn't say. I actually didn't get to ask all the questions I had written down for him, he was in a hurry to get to a meeting.
    I am still waiting on calls back from the biologist n game warden, and I ll try Matt again later.
    Very happy that those thousands of acres are huntable!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kesand72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    So I talked with the Casper game warden today and he suggests hunting unit 23 elk during Nov/Dec. Said its a real zoo on rifle opener, that all the elk flock to Snider Basin (a 9 sq mile private "refuge" ), along the Rattlesnake hills, and stay there.
    This is a big disappointment, as Snider Basin is surrounded by the highest ground in the unit, and where I was looking to start. Warden said half the elk hunters in the unit surround this "refuge" and watch the elk frolick around on the other side of the fence.
    I kinda pictured this area as heavily timbered, but it sounds more like rolling sage. Anyone know for sure?
    What would a hunt be like here in Dec?

Eastmans' Staff
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by kesand72 View Post
    OK so I've hunted Wyoming twice, but not on a HMA. On Monday, my buddy n I should be finding out the good news that we drew for unit 23 elk (6.5 points).
    I see that the Rattlesnake Mtn HMA covers thousands of acres, including ALOT of BLM and some state ground. I understand that the HMA s have their own rules and dates.
    So my question is this; Is the PUBLIC ground inside the HMA illegal to hunt on the regular elk opener of Oct 1, considering that the HMA opener ( for last year) isn't til Oct 11??
    I'm sure that this info is tucked away somewhere and someone here will know the answer instantly.
    Thanks

kesand72, You will have to call the G&F field office in Casper about the details of that situation. The HMA's are kind of weird and have their own rules and regs to some degree. I believe they are kind of like a unit, inside a unit, and yet, they can lock you out from hunting even the public land inside that area, the way I understand it anyway. Some of them I think even have their own draws to see who can hunt inside them, significantly limiting the hunting pressure. And the rules do chance from year to year, I know that so you have to be careful. The G&F prints a booklet with all of them listed and the rules for each I believe, but it doesn't come out until later in the year.

Sorry I don't know more about it. Let us know what you find out.

G-
    N. Guy Eastman
    Publisher
    Eastmans' Hunting Journals

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by kesand72 View Post
    So I talked with the Casper game warden today and he suggests hunting unit 23 elk during Nov/Dec. Said its a real zoo on rifle opener, that all the elk flock to Snider Basin (a 9 sq mile private "refuge" ), along the Rattlesnake hills, and stay there.
    This is a big disappointment, as Snider Basin is surrounded by the highest ground in the unit, and where I was looking to start. Warden said half the elk hunters in the unit surround this "refuge" and watch the elk frolick around on the other side of the fence.
    I kinda pictured this area as heavily timbered, but it sounds more like rolling sage. Anyone know for sure?
    What would a hunt be like here in Dec?
    I have not been in that unit but I have been on the western border of it. It is all pretty open country in that area from what I have seen. The right side of the road in the first pic and the left side or the road in the 2nd pic are on the western border of it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post: