Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 45 Times in 3 Posts
    Not at all man, go for it. Ive been up there and seen 3 or 4 very nice deer at once and then again ive also seen nothing! Let me know what you do, horses would be a plus for this area!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by islandlaker View Post
    Thanks for the advice TopGun some of your comments on this site and others have helped with the General Y decision. It is nice to know that the more northern regions of Y will have less pressure. Would you advise going up the mountains part way? All the way? Or stick to the prairies?

Kidwinner 105/106 was another area I had been looking at. Am I selfish in wanting a spot to hunt with a chance at a decent 4x4 and not run into other hunters? I'm sure this is to much for a newbie to ask. It is to bad our ancestors allowed so much development in this nation.
    ***I'd start high in the NF if the weather allows and work my way down lower depending on what you're seeing and what the weather is doing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    MusketMan, we have no preference points. I was thinking of applying for R it looks like there is a lot of public land with a 50% chance of drawing. Then I could put Y as my second choice and looks almost a shoe in to get it as a second choice; at least according to last years results. Then for third pick M as that also looks like a guarantee.

I love all the helpful hints I am getting. The research is a very fun process; nothing else to really do in northern Minnesota right now just to much snow and Walleye season just closed!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Stay away from Region M as there is not enough public land that holds enough deer to make a good hunt if you haven't been there a number of times to know where to go.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    MusketMan, we have no preference points. I was thinking of applying for R it looks like there is a lot of public land with a 50% chance of drawing. Then I could put Y as my second choice and looks almost a shoe in to get it as a second choice; at least according to last years results. Then for third pick M as that also looks like a guarantee.

I love all the helpful hints I am getting. The research is a very fun process; nothing else to really do in northern Minnesota right now just to much snow and Walleye season just closed!
    Y has had leftover tags the last few years after the draw so you can easily draw it 2nd choice. I would apply for R first choice and Y 2nd choice.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 1 Post
    Thanks for all the advice so far guys. Doing some research I am leaning towards going in mid to end October in zone Y. Several sources have recommended that for a first timer. I am definitely interested in Mule deer over antelope. However, if there are any antelope doe tags available OTC I would be interested in that for some freezer meat. I will also be ordering that book on mule deer hunting tactics.
    If you take care of the antelope (shoot them when they're calm / cool down the meat immediately), they are far and away better than mule deer IMO. Cool looking mount, much easier hunt, and, on average, a fairly easy tag to draw if you're not out for a monster. I love muleys too, but if the timing doesn't work out for a deer hunt, you won't be disappointed chasing speed goats.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MWScott72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    So the tentative plan right now is to apply for R as first choice and Y as second choice for Mule Deer. Leave Minnesota on 10/17 arrive sunrise in Wyoming on 10/18. Then hunt tell 10/24 leave the morning of 10/25. This is about as late in the month as we can make the trip as we have to do it over a weekend off. The hospital we work at wont let us all take a weekend off together. How does that sound to everyone? Again thanks, you guys rock!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    Stay away from Region M as there is not enough public land that holds enough deer to make a good hunt if you haven't been there a number of times to know where to go.
    Isn't M where you hunt deer?

BTW: Here's a screen grab of unit 164 in Region M. Yellow/Blue = Public. White = Non-public. Better stay away from M. Not enough public land.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-03-01 at 8.34.49 AM.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	8454

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nickpaolini81; 03-01-2014 at 06:37 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 1 Post
    That looks like a big chunk of public land in M!!! Maybe I should put M as my 2nd choice in case we don't draw the LE unit we applied for.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Take it all with a grain of salt. There is tons of public land in WY but a lot of it is very difficult if not landlocked w private. All that yellow looks appetizing, but u may spend your entire hunt on one or 2 hillsides equivalent to a pinhead on that map

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk