Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilovethewest View Post
    Nebraska was MY plan, however my compadres had other plans. They do have access to some prime private lands in Wisconsin..........I am quite envious of them and wish I could get on the same lands but it is not land they own or lease............so Nebraska was not attractive to them due to overlapping seasons. we thought of rifle in late October for this unit, but those guys also take time off in early November for bow in WI and don't think they can get that much time off.

all of your concerns Musket Man/mattdeere/schl44 and others are valid, and concerns I have as well. which is why my Nebraska plan made sense. but........they want to try elk. cant blame them. elk country is beautiful. I miss the Star Valley area of Wyoming, and the northern horns are beautiful. I have 4 elk pts in WYO and hope to cash them in in a couple years. elk hunting is fun but hard.

I am starting to think that 4 guys with tags will be peeing our money away. I for one, just love being in elk country, regardless if I have a tag in my hand. and our 4th guy is pretty iffy on going.............so.........I may be the camp tender / trout fisherman if there are any around.........and meat packer. We do have a 4 wheeler to help with meat if we can get quarters to an accessible trail. now 2 guys with tags in 5 days? that is way more doable than 4 (presuming guy #4 drops out)....................sounds way more doable to me. and 1 bull out of 2 guys is a HUGE success. hell, a cow out of 2 tags is a huge success. I will have fun calling and just enjoying Gods Country. Hunting isn't all about the kill anyways.

Thanks for all the info guys. We have a long ways till September. I will continue my research. Thanks for the fun discussion! any further advice and info will be appreciated.
    I think this plans sounds great and your humble attitude towards a trip like this is great as well. It's not always about the kill as long as the experience is "World Class"! Good luck however it goes.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 2 Posts
    There are much better options for you guys other than 161. There are elk in North Park but the density is relatively low and the Silver Spur ranch provides them with a safe haven.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i am open to suggestions granby..............I had a tip from a fine gentleman about hunting the greater Durango / san juan nf area........but part of our dilemma is our time restriction. The longer the travel the less time to hunt. northern/central Colorado is a single day travel from Wisconsin. SW Colorado is essentially a 1.5 day trip. that cuts a full day of hunting out. with limted time, we are trying to maximize time in the woods. otherwise I would be delving into the sw corner instead.

but I will gladly take suggestions of units other than 161. PM me if you prefer to keep your suggestions more private.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilovethewest View Post
    home state of Wisconsin.
    Would you be opposed to a draw unit with 0 points? I might be able to help a fellow Sconnie out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    just want to say thank you to all of those who have responded to me. I know the season is monthes away..........but it has been such a long winter here in Wisconsin. planning for hunts helps pass the time! good luck to anyone putting in for draws or who are waiting results. hope you all draw the tags your looking for!

Luke