Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    I would like to nominate mattdeere as our official introduction request guy
    Haha. That was pretty cold. Welcome aboard ranger10.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 3 Posts
    Roftopaulas ranch in NW colorado with landowner tags would be hard to beat. You couldn't go wrong with the Hill ranch either.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Granby guy View Post
    Roftopaulas ranch in NW colorado with landowner tags would be hard to beat. You couldn't go wrong with the Hill ranch either.
    I'll second that recommendation on the Bobby Hill Ranch, the Eastman family hunts that a lot. They've taken some Big bulls there.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 38 Times in 6 Posts
    If you have Wyoming Preference Points, there are several amazing hunts to be had. Check out Triple 3 in the little Tisdale Mountain Range as well as area 108 in the southern part of the state. I drew 108 this year with 7 points. Be very careful in New Mexico as there are many outfitters that lead you on and don't provide. I have personally guided for one outside of Chama that guaranteed 6x6 bulls- He was a crooked man. Most of our hunters settled for 3 year old bulls or went home empty handed. He over hunted premium land so they just never got any age on them.

If you have no preference points, there are some general tag hunts that can be great. I keep those a little more secret... do your research and you will find some good ones.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    BKC - Doesn't matter how much money you have in Wyoming- You can only get one PP per year. I guess a governor tag for 50k is an option...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 48 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post
    BKC - Doesn't matter how much money you have in Wyoming- You can only get one PP per year. I guess a governor tag for 50k is an option...
    There are Commissioner tags that are far less money. Last I heard was they were in the $8K range. Which brings up an alternate strategy. Buy a commissioner tag and hunt Unit 124. You should kill a 330-350 bull.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 02-25-2014 at 11:29 AM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post
    Ranger10 never said they were using PPs. I think his dad is going to use $. They are looking to buy a hunt. If you had enough PPs to draw on these ranches in NM, CO, or Wyo, I think you would be older than college age.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hadn't heard of the commissioner tags? That's not a terrible price. Can you hunt state wide?

You can get pp at age 14- at age 22 you would have had max points if he started 8 years ago. I just drew a blue chip tag with 7 points.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BKC View Post
    Ranger10 never said they were using PPs. I think his dad is going to use $. They are looking to buy a hunt. If you had enough PPs to draw on these ranches in NM, CO, or Wyo, I think you would be older than college age.
    Correct, neither of us have ever entered the draw in any state. This will be my first elk hunt, and after this one I plan on entering draws and building PP for a DIY hunt.

Roftopaulas is 15k and out of our price range. Can anyone tell me the price at Hill Ranch? I found on another forum that it starts and 12k and they charge a trophy fee. Not sure if this is correct.

Right now we are looking hard at Trinchera with Pat Lancaster. I will find out by the end of next week what dates are available. It could turn out that he only has the first hunt and last hunt available, can't remember the exact dates of those hunts. Is early and late season significantly less productive than late September early October?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 48 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger10 View Post
    Correct, neither of us have ever entered the draw in any state. This will be my first elk hunt, and after this one I plan on entering draws and building PP for a DIY hunt.

Roftopaulas is 15k and out of our price range. Can anyone tell me the price at Hill Ranch? I found on another forum that it starts and 12k and they charge a trophy fee. Not sure if this is correct.

Right now we are looking hard at Trinchera with Pat Lancaster. I will find out by the end of next week what dates are available. It could turn out that he only has the first hunt and last hunt available, can't remember the exact dates of those hunts. Is early and late season significantly less productive than late September early October?
    Look at a Utah private land hunt. Typically better quality bulls than in Colorado. Or even buy a landowner tag on one of the mid tier units and have an outfitter guide you on public land. Either would be a quality very high success hunt.

Supply and demand dictates the prices of those high quality elk hunts. If you are getting a "bargain", likely you are making a compromise. Just make sure you understand what that compromise is.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 02-25-2014 at 01:42 PM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)