Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What work2hunt said. Ky is probably about the same for a NR. I hunt both states and its hard to beat for whitetail, in both quality and quantity, for the price. Both states are great. And for the bow hunter....public land is a plenty!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I live here in Idaho, the last few years except for last season, I lived within a few miles or so of where I hunted elk, and my cost was usually about $600 a year. Tat includes licenes, several species tags at resident prices, gas for my 8.1 liter Chevy that thinks thats funny....so it hogs it fast, processing fee $200, food, snacks, beer. All three seperate buget brackets!
    gear, clothes, etc as needed.

Then last year a taxidermy bill at $1500 and a custom cabinet for the mount I built that ran me $600 so far just for my materials used....god help me if I wasnt the carpenter.....

Travel or local...it aint cheap, and as my friends told me when I got started 8 years ago......you pay to play.....
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    A few of these Midwestern states are REALLY proud of their deer.. Iowa and Illinois to be specific. Kansas deer tags aren't terrible, at about $350, but in my opinion, Missouri deer tags are a bargain, at $225. Find a good farm in the north half of the state, and you're essentially hunting the same deer as you would be in Iowa or Illinois. Missouri kills an absolute pile of 150-160 type deer, we just don't kill quite as many BC type bucks as the other three.
    I thought what the western states charged was a little high until I saw what a few states were charging for whitetail tags!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Work2hunt View Post
    Hey for $149 you can have an either sex tag in Ohio. Add another $15 and you get a doe tag.

And oh, that tag is good all season for all hunts.
    This sounds more like it. (I would have a really hard time justifying a $500 whitetail license to my wife). Currently, it costs my friend and I about $300 total to go elk hunting for the week including licenses. We don't know crap about about whitetail hunting and I was just curious to find out if it was comparable to people coming from the Midwest to hunt elk and deer out here.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Work2hunt View Post
    Hey for $149 you can have an either sex tag in Ohio. Add another $15 and you get a doe tag.

And oh, that tag is good all season for all hunts.
    You know, I didn't even think to look at much past Western Illinois, simply because the travel costs/time would start getting eccessive for a guy coming from out West, but I agree, Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana all have fantastic deer hunting... It's just a haul to get there.

Granby, if you wanna shoot a whitetail, let me know, there's a really good outfitter about 2 miles from me, he controls a ton of ground, we have big deer, and his restaurant serves a pretty mean steak. Oh, and the tag is OTC. Or, I can point you in the direction of a bunch of public ground. If you're an archery hunter, you'll have it to yourself.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Granby. I drive from ky to hunt public land in ohio every year for deer. I always see a few but nothing big. The tag is easy and cheap but the quality is questionable on free public land.
    Unless you have connections I wouldn't expect an inexpensive high quality hunt in the Midwest. I'm not the best or most dedicated hunter, but this is the biggest buck I've seen on the hoof in 4 years on Ohio public land
    People who want a change of scenery and not break the bank may consider a public land quota hunt in ky or at the land between the lakes in western ky. Apply online for both of these options and expect a decent hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Not to completely hijack this thread from your original question, but if you are serious about coming East to hunt Whitetail I can direct you to some Ohio public land also. I now hunt primarily private here in Ohio as I have gotten to know a few of the farmers and now have permission to hunt about 500 acres of private land. Some of the land is better than others, time of year plays a big part, I don't always have the woods to myself, and some of it I only have permission for just myself or immediate family, but I do see some nice deer and I usally see at least 1 deer each year on the hoof that will go above 170 inches. I just cant seem to always connect.

Here is my best deer and it is from Ohio. Top picture in my post on this thread.
    http://www.eastmans.com/forum/showth...th-pics)/page9

I've also got a lot of other pictures both of harvested and game camera pictures that show some real nice deer.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 3 Posts
    The real bargain I have seen is the Nebraska non-resident youth permits. Bring you young hunter here to hunt for $5 with an either sex tag good for all seasons... hard to beat that!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post
    The real bargain I have seen is the Nebraska non-resident youth permits. Bring you young hunter here to hunt for $5 with an either sex tag good for all seasons... hard to beat that!
    What are the age restrictions? That is a bargain!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 25 Times in 1 Post
    I spend about $1200 coming from AR to CO. It would certainly be cheaper as a group. I have hunted whitetails in almost all of the mid-west states (not Iowa), and even though the tags may be pricey, they are absolutely great hunts. If you are a bow hunter, I have had great luck knocking on doors. I am generally told the same thing, to be done before rifle/slug/muzzle loader season. KS and IL are my favorites, but OK might be a good place to do some research on too. Specifically the areas north and west of OK City. I do like Missourri too, but they have a rifle season during the rut which tends to take more mature animals out of the herd. They still have some great deer though. Good luck on picking a place!