Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 3 Posts

How much do you spend on your elk hunt

My friend and I were recently looking at going on a whitetail hunt in the Midwest and I was kind of surprised at the cost of whitetail tags in some of the states. It got me wondering about how much you guys from out of state usually spend on an elk hunt out west ( gas, food, license and whatever else). Just interested in seeing how it compares for us to go on a hunt in the Midwest.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    For Idaho from Reno I've done it many times for about $1k with friends along to split gas and food costs.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I typically spend $1,000 or less, excluding license. Diesel gets me pulling my gooseneck with my mules & equipment.
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 4 Posts
    Not couting gear like a new gun or spotter, etc., my last couple trips from Ohio to Colorado I've done for about $1k. That includes food, gas, and license. I butcher everything myself so I save there.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 36 Times in 6 Posts
    I plan on 1k for the trip to Wyoming regardless of the species. I never figure the tags because you pay for them 6-10 months earlier. Usually end up spending a little more or less but 1k is a good rule of thumb. Get a group of 4 people and you can cut that down to $300 each easily. To put that in perspective, I have friends that travel here to eastern Nebraska to hunt and they can usually do the hunt for half the above numbers. There just isn't as much gear and planning to go sit in a corn field IMO. Finding the place to hunt is the hard part...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    A few of these Midwestern states are REALLY proud of their deer.. Iowa and Illinois to be specific. Kansas deer tags aren't terrible, at about $350, but in my opinion, Missouri deer tags are a bargain, at $225. Find a good farm in the north half of the state, and you're essentially hunting the same deer as you would be in Iowa or Illinois. Missouri kills an absolute pile of 150-160 type deer, we just don't kill quite as many BC type bucks as the other three.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    A few of these Midwestern states are REALLY proud of their deer.. Iowa and Illinois to be specific. Kansas deer tags aren't terrible, at about $350, but in my opinion, Missouri deer tags are a bargain, at $225. Find a good farm in the north half of the state, and you're essentially hunting the same deer as you would be in Iowa or Illinois. Missouri kills an absolute pile of 150-160 type deer, we just don't kill quite as many BC type bucks as the other three.
    I thought what the western states charged was a little high until I saw what a few states were charging for whitetail tags!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 3 Posts
    Going to Colorado, Wyoming, or Utah from the West Coast usually runs me about $1500 if gas is reasonable.

Stops at Cabelas, hunting partners who insist on processing, and post hunt celebrations always run it up
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Fuel, food, and license

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Depend.....unguided or guided. Usually 2 of us going from SW Colorado to Wyoming and camping out except for the last night on the way home. Motel is in order then so we can get home without all the campfire smell, etc. Trip like that usually 1k to 1.2k. Hunting Colorado is usually only several hundred because its so close to my homeplace.

I've spent anywhere from 1500 for wilderness drop camps to 8k on a fully guided wilderness hunt.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley