Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Question First Time WY Pronghorn Hunters from WA Considering Areas 91, 93, & 96

Looking for recommendations on a 2014 pronghorn NR party hunt in WY. Having filtered the info from the EHJ MRS we have identified three hunt areas in WY. The areas are 91, 93, & 96. As a party of four we will have an average of three points per party member. We will enter the Special Draw for the areas identified.

All three units listed have ample public land & access. We would appreciate recommendations from the forum on the areas noted. The plan is to hunt starting the second week of the season. First preference is to stay in a motel at a nearby town (Kemmerer, Diamondville, Green River, Rock Springs, etc..). Hey, we are softies from Seattle, what else can I say? Camping in or near the hunt unit is certainly on the table.

We are WY rookies looking for a fun WY pronghorn adventure and appreciate input from folks that have previously hunted and experienced WY pronghorn hunting. Thank you folks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Was in your shoes in 2010, it's hard to go wrong with a Wyoming pronghorn hunt. I think those three units will provide a great experience. We stayed in rock springs but were hunting to the east of their. My best advice is to lock your bullets up the first day, don't shoot the first buck you see look them over and find a good one.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 46 Times in 8 Posts
    Good plan to get your feet we out there in any of those three units and you should draw any of them in the Special with 3PPs.. Welcome to the site too and come back often!
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 02-25-2014 at 03:22 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by WA280Guy View Post
    Looking for recommendations on a 2014 pronghorn NR party hunt in WY. Having filtered the info from the EHJ MRS we have identified three hunt areas in WY. The areas are 91, 93, & 96. As a party of four we will have an average of three points per party member. We will enter the Special Draw for the areas identified.

All three units listed have ample public land & access. We would appreciate recommendations from the forum on the areas noted. The plan is to hunt starting the second week of the season. First preference is to stay in a motel at a nearby town (Kemmerer, Diamondville, Green River, Rock Springs, etc..). Hey, we are softies from Seattle, what else can I say? Camping in or near the hunt unit is certainly on the table.

We are WY rookies looking for a fun WY pronghorn adventure and appreciate input from folks that have previously hunted and experienced WY pronghorn hunting. Thank you folks.

Of the areas listed 96 would be my choice. You can stay in Green River or Rawlings, but Green River would be my choice. Its often listed as one of the best places for an outdoorsman to live in magazines and has several nice options for lodging. Good goats in that unit, and they should be recovering now from the terrible winter kill all of those units suffered a few years back. You will have a good hunt, I am jealous.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thank you Ridgerunner. Appreciate your advice to take our time to glass the bucks before settling the crosshairs on the first animal. Great advice. All the best.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thank you EBOLAVIRS. I appreciate the tips on the area & accommodations. Very useful. Thanks!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    Where ever you decide to hunt get a good map and a gps with a huntinggpsmaps chip so you know where you can and cant hunt. The chip will be invaluable and save you ALOT of headaches trying to figure out where you can hunt even in units with a decent amount of public land. I hunted near Kemmerer in 93 once (first hunting trip to WY). I think it would have been a good hunt with a little better planning and good maps and gps, but I didnt know any better at the time (we both killed antelope but was a nightmare figuring out where we could hunt). Really any unit that takes 3 points to draw should be a good hunt!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thank you Musket Man. I appreciate the great advice regarding the GPS map. Two weeks ago, at the Cabela's in Lacey, WA, I bought the WY Hunting GPS Map for my Garmin 62st. Any other maps that you would recommend for WY?

You must see some nice mulie bucks over near Colfax. Is public land access a challenge over your way? Thanks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    BLM maps are good but sometimes its better to get maps from mytopo if the unit is on several different blm laps. The mytopo maps are made from blm maps but they center it on the unit you want so its all on 1 map.

Almost all whitetails here. there are muleys down along the snake river but there really aint much public land around here to hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hunted the 93 and wasn't disappointed. Like musketman was saying, do some glassing for a while. I probably viewed about 30 bucks before taking my trophy. Fortunately, I had a good friend with me to keep my buck fever down. He lived in green river so goats were the norm for him. You will see quite a few 14 inch and under bucks, but be patient if your after a toad. They are there.