Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Think ya got me beat on that one Cobb. lol

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    WA280,

Remember your not in WA any more. If you have 5 solids days to hunt you can pass on 75 in and smaller bucks and still kill one of those on the last day if you have to, in any of those areas. Buy a few doe tags to get the edge off if you need to.

I bought the special tag a few years back and drew an area with no points. I killed a 15 1/4 inch buck my tallest so far but he probably only scores 77-78. I'm happy with him and the 278 yd shot I made but in retrospect, I should have held out a few more days and hunted the area a little more. I probably on hunted 1/2 of my hunt area.
    I've only killed 10 antelope bucks so I'm no expert, but It's my opinion that if you only kill a 77 inch or lesser buck in any of those areas with the special tag, you wasted your money and time. You need to have decent optics and know how to judge them quickly. Buy Mike's book. I live in Bothell WA and your welcome to come up and see the ones I've taken dink's included.\
    Good luck in WY. I wish I had 3 points.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree with holding out and trying not to get trigger happy and shoot one to soon but why is it a waste of time and money if you kill a buck that scores 77 or less? There are more important things then score and aslong as the hunter is happy with his hunt thats what matters.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Your right, score has nothing to do with it. But if you banked points and are going to spend the extra money why not make it a real antelope hunt and not an antelope shoot. I had more fun hunting antelope when I made a good stalk and passed on an antelope that wasn't what I thought he was. I stalked my last buck 3 1/2 hours before I killed him and passed on 10 other bucks before him. I really enjoyed my hunt doing it that way. Every stalk you make or blow you learn a little more about antelope hunting and that's the fun part. Shoot a 75 incher from the road and you have meat but learned nothing about antelope hunting.

As you know good antelope tags in WY are harder to draw than they were 20 yrs ago. It will take 3-5 years of points in the reg draw to draw another good areas, why not hunt hard give it a fair chance.

Just my 2 cents on this.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I see what your saying now. It can be easy to shoot to soon on your first few antelope hunts. Its also hard to judge them. My last good tag I got a 76'' antelope which was probably pretty good considering the drought and Im very happy with him! Next time I draw I will be holding out for something better then the last one. But regardless of size if the hunters is happy with his animal that is what really matters!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It would be nice if theses guys that ask for advice let us know how they did or even if the drew their tags.
    I shoot at the Renton gun range which is close to Kent where he lives I could take photo's of my bucks so they could get an idea on size but Mikes book does such a good job they need to buy it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Mikes book is great and I would recommend it to anyone! It has really helped me having a few I have killed to look at and compare side by side. Going to hunting shows and looking at antelope would help a new hunter alot too.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hi Fish, you, Musket Man and other forum contributors don't know how much we appreciate your advice and input. This info is invaluable for us WY rookies. Your offer to connect is much appreciated. I work in Kirkland just off Lake WA Blvd. at Carillon Point. We are super close to Bothell. Do the I-405 commute back & forth to Kent. Let me chat with my hunt buddy, also working in Kirkland. We would love to chat with you directly and pick your brains some more. Thanks again for the offer! WA280Guy.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to WA280Guy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hunted 96 back in '06. Most of the goats seemed to be in the north portion of the unit. There is a highway out of Far son that divides the unit and I saw far more goats on the north than the south. Along with your hunting maps chip, I would make sure and have a 1:100,000 BLM map. Here in Salt Lake, Utah - Idaho Map Supply is a great resource. They can print just about any custom map you can think of.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thank you MWScott72 for the great info. I will check out Idaho Map Suppy in SLC. About ten years ago I killed a very nice high mountain mulie buck not far from you in the Lone Peak Wilderness, just east of Alpine, UT. What beautiful country, but coming from sea level to that elevation took some serious effort to hunt. Thanks again for your help. I am hoping to draw a Utah bull elk hunt in the Bookcliffs before I get too old! All the best.