Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Harding county mule deer archery

Looking into heading to Harding county South Dakota this fall for muleys with the bow! Have never hunted this area before so it should be interesting to say the least but just looking to see what people have to GENERALLY say about the area the info I've been digging up sounds fairly decent but any input from any previous bow hunters of the region would be awesome!!!! We will be all on our own on public land and are looking into the Nieme CHAP area and some of the country east of 85

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    I've never hunted Harding county, but I hear good and bad things about it. I typically hear about antelope and some mule deer out there as well. We stick to the central part of the state along the river (I just moved to Kansas last year). I'm assuming you have been to Harding county or know someone that has hunted there?
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 9 Posts
    I have never hunted it but I really like that area! I have friends just across the border in Hettinger, ND

Thanks
    Congratulations
    No I have not hunted and unfortunately have not been there either just looking to try somewhere new I guess and my homework has lead me to this area! We will a have a week and half to two weeks of hunting still probably not enough time to get it done but I think we're gonna give it a try

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 10 Times in 5 Posts
    I will be bow hunting Harding county this year too,I have never hunted it before. I have been told it went down hill but is starting to come back now. I won't be spending as much time as u there but going to probably hunt some long weekends there. I would think if you are spending over a week there you would be able to find em and hopefully get a chance at one. Good luck and maybe see u out there.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Coming all the way from ohios I I am going to try and make it as long as I can since I won't be able to scout it prior

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 10 Times in 5 Posts
    killshot-i might do some scouting there this summer if i have some time maybe make a weekend out of it and if i do will will let you know what the numbers and quality look like.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    I agree with Retterath. You are also traveling through some good hunting grounds to get to Harding County if you are coming from Ohio. Don't confine yourself to just one county. All SD tags are either statewide, east river, or west river for archery, so you have all the state or half of it to hunt. I would agree that if you can get out to scout that would be best, but that is a long way from Ohio. When are you planning on going out? Early season, right before rifle, or late season?
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hunted Harding County for deer back in 2009. I saw a good amount of deer, but numbers were a lot higher back then. I looked into going back last fall, but after consulting a biologist about the current population, I opted not to. I agree with tdcour about keeping your options open for the rest of the state. The Missouri River provides ample opportunity and plenty of public land.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Retterath if you do end up scouting the area any info your willing to give up would be greatly appreciated! Obviously not expecting you to tell me exactly where you saw all the big guys but just general info on deer numbers and what caliber bucks you saw! And Tdcour we are not dead set on Harding county yet nor are we set on our dates just putting some feelers out to try and see what people have to say about the area and as far as dates we are thinking as early as possible but are still real flexible we can go pretty much whenever as of right now!