Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by killshot824 View Post
    Retterath if you do end up scouting the area any info your willing to give up would be greatly appreciated! Obviously not expecting you to tell me exactly where you saw all the big guys but just general info on deer numbers and what caliber bucks you saw! And Tdcour we are not dead set on Harding county yet nor are we set on our dates just putting some feelers out to try and see what people have to say about the area and as far as dates we are thinking as early as possible but are still real flexible we can go pretty much whenever as of right now!
    I've never had much luck where we usually go early in the season. We have the best luck just prior to the rut. I usually hunt the week before rifle season and that puts us in the rut or pre-rut stages. SD has their rifle season right in the middle of the rut, so if you don't get there before rifle season, the deer are scattered and most of the mature bucks are gone (shot or hiding). I don't think I'm going back this year, but we were going to try the last week of November to try and catch the deer prior to the rut.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    We will for sure be there before rifle season! What are the deer typically doing out there at the beginning of the season are they still bachelored up at all or dispersed and laying low until the rut hits??

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hi Killshot284
    What was it that made you decide on S Dakota mulies?
    I only ask because I am building points for west river deer n antelope.
    The things that attracted me were reasonable price for points, good amounts of public land, the ability for a combo hunt with pheasant, and they take some very respectable bucks!
    No I have not hunted and unfortunately have not been there either just looking to try somewhere new I guess and my homework has lead me to this area! We will a have a week and half to two weeks of hunting still probably not enough time to get it done but I think we're gonna give it a try

Thanks
    Congratulations
    We will for sure be there before rifle season! What are the deer typically doing out there at the beginning of the season are they still bachelored up at all or dispersed and laying low until the rut hits??
    All depends what part of the state you are in. That part of the state, I'm guessing they will be in bachelor groups, but I've never hunted there so I'm not positive. I know they are spread far and wide where we hunt in the central part of the state. The closer to the rut, the closer the groups become.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by kesand72 View Post
    Hi Killshot284
    What was it that made you decide on S Dakota mulies?
    I only ask because I am building points for west river deer n antelope.
    The things that attracted me were reasonable price for points, good amounts of public land, the ability for a combo hunt with pheasant, and they take some very respectable bucks!
    Well we have been hunting general units in wyoming the last few years while building points, and the quality of deer we have been seeing on the easy to draw units is just not real great so were kinda using this archery hunt as a scouting trip to learn a new area that we can work towards drawing a future rifle tag for! Just broadening our horizons I guess you could say and the cheap and easy to obtain archery tag was very attractive also! We were also thinking about possibly applying for the firearms antelope tag in that area or surrounding units but it looks like it could possibly be a tough tag to draw with out any points?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well we have been hunting general units in wyoming the last few years while building points, and the quality of deer we have been seeing on the easy to draw units is just not real great so were kinda using this archery hunt as a scouting trip to learn a new area that we can work towards drawing a future rifle tag for! Just broadening our horizons I guess you could say and the cheap and easy to obtain archery tag was very attractive also! We were also thinking about possibly applying for the firearms antelope tag in that area or surrounding units but it looks like it could possibly be a tough tag to draw with out any points?
    When I was looking into it last year, I believe it took a couple points for the antelope, and maybe 3 or 4 for rifle deer. I heard the deer n lopes took a big hit from ( EHD?). So that may have affected draw odds. Can't wait to get out there on a combo hunt with pheasants, my buddy runs German short hairs. Its gonna be a couple years tho, as we are hunting Wy elk this year n lopes next year.
    Last edited by kesand72; 02-26-2014 at 10:03 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 10 Times in 5 Posts
    i talked to a few people about harding county and for rifle season they are going to drop the number of rifle tags quite a bit, but not 100% they said it would probally take five years to draw but thats just what i heard. I have heard the number are getting better.i would be happy to help you out if i go and do some scouting killshot.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Retterath View Post
    i talked to a few people about harding county and for rifle season they are going to drop the number of rifle tags quite a bit, but not 100% they said it would probally take five years to draw but thats just what i heard. I have heard the number are getting better.i would be happy to help you out if i go and do some scouting killshot.
    Well after some more digging and debating we've decided to probably hunt as close to the rifle season as we can! Any body have any experience in the slim butte area? And just out of curiosity what is the weather typically doing right before rifle season? Super cold or unpredictable??
    Last edited by killshot824; 03-02-2014 at 07:05 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Pretty unpredictable. During the last few seasons I have seen blizzard conditions all the way to 60 during the days. Typically, I would say expect 40s for a high and lows in teens or twenties. It really just depends on the year. Need the layers in the morning but bot too much during the day. Last season it was 55 one day and -7 the next along the river.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yea that's pretty much what I expected to be honest!